Hayward Schools’ Funding Expected to Double

Yousuf Fahimuddin,
Politics Editor

Illustration/ Brittany England

The Hayward Unified School District will receive an additional $81.4 million per year by 2020, according to new estimates from Gov. Jerry Brown’s current budget.

The school district received $132.4 million in funding in the 2011-12 fiscal year, and is supposed to receive $5.8 million more in funding this year as part of the Governor’s budget. Currently the school district will receive approximately $213.8 million by 2020-21.

All of this will be made possible through the state’s newly reformed system of education finance. On July 1, the program, called the Local Control Funding Formula, was signed into law. The program will restore significant funding cuts made by the state over the past five years to school districts, the Department of Finance states.

By the time the program is fully implemented, schools will receive funding equal to the statewide average in 2007-08, shortly after the beginning of the recession.

Supplemental grants will be provided for students who are English language learners, economically disadvantaged, or foster youth. The grants are designed to help the school district “increase and improve” services to these groups.

According to the report, Hayward’s school district has an English language learner population of 32.29 percent. Hayward could potentially receive more than $10 million per year in funding from these grants based on English learners alone, reports from the Department of Finance indicate. There are currently no student population estimates of Hayward’s foster youth and economically disadvantaged by state agencies.

The program seeks to increase control of school funding at a local level and “reduce state bureaucracy.” If school districts do not show improvement in performance for three years over a four-year period, the state will intervene, the report states. Details of what kind of intervention would happen are not certain yet.

School districts, county offices of education and charter schools must develop three-year Local Control and Accountability Plans by July 1, 2014 and update them annually. These reports will “identify goals and measure progress for student subgroups across multiple performance indicators.”

Local education agencies are required to receive input from parents and the public when updating the plans to ensure that funds are spent responsibly, the Department of Finance states.

Funding for the Local Control Funding Formula comes mostly from Prop 98. Over the past few years, revenue from Prop 98 has increased modestly. But this is set to increase substantially over the next few years.  “Proposition 98 funding for K12 education is projected to grow by almost $20 billion from the 2011-12 fiscal year to the 2016-17 fiscal year, representing an increase of more than $2,800 per student,” the report states.

Current estimates, which have not been finalized, are a slight decrease from preliminary estimates released by Department of Finance in June. The school district was set to receive $4.2 million more in funding on a per year basis by fiscal year 2020-21.