USF_MA_U_P

Letter to the Editor: Unit Cap is Preventing Students from Graduating on Time

Although this issue is not the most current, and The Pioneer published the articles about the unit cap a while ago, I am just feeling the effects of the unit cap system. I am trying to graduate by the end of this year but because of the 17-unit cap that started this summer where students cannot take more than 17 units unless they are a graduating senior it means I would have to be here an extra year. My goal was to always finish my undergrad in less than four years so I can go straight to my masters but now I am being restricted. I wonder how much student input went into this decision? Like other decisions on campus regarding student issues, students should of course have a say. What did our student government say on behalf of this? Did they have the opportunity to represent us fairly? I am quite frankly just frustrated and I really don’t see how this is supposed to help us. I know feel forced to try and take classes at a community college near my home, which think about this CSU executives, is taking money that could be spent at your institution. I propose that more students, who are upset with this issue find a way to take action, call their student government representatives or write an e-mail to The Pioneer so they can voice their opinions since it seems it wasn’t an opportunity before.