AMZ_CSUEB

Staying Dry: Police Vehicles or Students?

My first night class was last week and I just missed one of the shuttle busses. For nearly 30 minutes I stood in the shuttle line against the massive concrete wall (reminiscent of lining up for a firing squad).

The shuttle bus users have been fortunate that it hasn’t begun to rain this winter. But when it does, from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m., a line of dripping wet faculty, staff and students will be standing waiting for the next shuttle. I spent the time looking at Warren Hall, the library building and West Loop Road. It hit me… why is there a long wooden bench next to the sidewalk under the library? Was this covered area designed as a place for faculty, staff and students to wait for rides when the building was designed? Why is this useful curb area now only used for police parking?

Two police vehicles were parked at the curb. Across the street, two police vehicles and one university van were parked under Warren Hall. The building is empty and there is room for five covered parking spaces on that side of West Loop Road. There are also four parking spaces reserved for service vehicles that aren’t covered. All these could be reserved for police vehicles with the only expense being signage and painting the curb red for “Police Only.”

As a Building Safety Assistant for many years, it also seems logical for the University Police Department to park at least one police vehicle in either Lot A or Lot B. In an earthquake, Warren Hall could demolish the entire fleet of police vehicles.

It’s common sense to move the reserved police parking across to the Warren Hall side of West Loop Road. Move the shuttle bus pick up location to the covered area under the library and paint the curb for Shuttle Bus only. And finally, unscrew the “Shuttle Line Begins Here” signs and move them to the pillar under the library next to the bench. The total cost should be one can of red spray paint and one can of white spray paint for the curbs. And of course, it will take a screwdriver and possibly a drill.

I’ve sent this letter by email to Interim President Morishita, University Police Interim Chief Hodges, and University Parking Services. I hope whoever has the “say so” will make the changes and keep the police vehicles, and more importantly, the shuttle bus riders dry.