Oops! Perry’s Candidacy Doesn’t Speak to Students

There is only one word to best describe the thought process that shot Texas Governor Rick Perry to the top of the Republican candidate field in September: Oops!

Since being declared the front-runner in September, Perry has done nothing but hurt his campaign, culminating in his awful performance in the Republican debates last week where he was unable to remember the three Federal programs that he would cut if elected.

A confused and baffled Perry remembered that he proposed to cut the commerce and education departments before meekly saying “oops” as he forgot the third department, energy, that he plans to cut.

While the debate gaffe has done severe damage to Perry’s campaign, it is not the only reason why we as students should not support his run for president.

Rick Perry at the Republican presidential
debates.

The fact that Perry is proposing cuts to the Department of Education should immediately disenchant students with his cause.

Amidst all the budget cuts, faculty turmoil, furlough days, and lack of class availability, we students have undertaken these last several years, how can cutting education spending be considered acceptable?

Do we need more budget cuts and restrictions? No, and as students we should not support Perry’s policy as it will severely limit our learning potential.

Furthermore, Perry willingly admits he is skeptical of scientific reports about climate change, which a member of his administration in the Texas government called “unsettled science” during an interview with National Public Radio (NPR).

Perry has also backed up this claim during the Republican debates, proving just how out of touch with students he actually is.

As college students, we have been informed about the dangers of climate change. How could we ever support a president who chooses not to believe this information and would thus be in a position to enact policies that could hurt our climate even further?

The fact that Perry would cut the energy department of the federal government just further exposes how Perry would lead the country. He would have no commitment to clean energy or the environment, which we as students should not stand for.

Ultimately, if Perry were to win the GOP nomination, students who may be disenchanted with the Obama Administration will be effectively sentenced to four more years of his leadership.

That’s because the bumbling Perry stands little chance to dethrone Obama. Imagine how the presidential debates will play out.

The savvy veteran Obama will torch Perry during the debates and we will once again find a Democratic landslide.

According to the National Journal’s Ronald Brownstein, Obama had an approval rating of 66 percent amongst voters aged 18 to 29 during the 2008 exit polls.

While Brownstein said those numbers have fallen by 10 percent during Obama’s presidency, Perry, who doesn’t speak to student issues, will not be able to capitalize and win the vote.

If students want a change in leadership to emanate from the Republican Party they would be best advised to steer clear from Texas Governor Rick Perry.

Nominating him as the Republican candidate will only result in those championing change saying one word: Oops.