Youth Enrichment Program Celebrates 15 Years

Hayward Mayor Michael Sweeney engaging with a student.

Hayward’s Youth Enrichment Program (YEP) hosted its 12th Annual Lights on Afterschool celebration on Oct. 20, where parents, children and community members joined together to commemorate 15 years of after school programs in Hayward.
The Lights on Afterschool celebration was one of over 7,500 events that day, with more than a million participants celebrating after school programs nationwide.
Upon entrance to the event, guests were paired with a YEP “buddy” who accompanied them to various interactive tables where guests explored the material YEP students learn as a part of the program.
As a collaborative effort between the Hayward Unified School District (HUSD) and the City of Hayward, the YEP seeks to provide academic and enrichment activities for Hayward youth and create a safe environment for children to interact and learn after school.
“We are offering [children] life skills that they can build on,” said Sally Espinosa, YEP operations supervisor.
The Lights on Afterschool event encouraged parent and children interaction and showcased the standard based STEM—Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics—curriculum that seeks to compliment and build on the material students learn in the classroom.
Before and After School Programs Coordinator Kathy Brown said one of YEP’s primary priorities is to encourage parent and child interaction.
“We really appreciate the bridge between home and the school day,” said Brown.  “We have the benefit of being able to see the parents and interact with them when they come to pick up their children, and so we have that communication and homework support which really provides a bridge.”
Originally funded through Hayward Area Parks and Recreation District, the YEP began in 1996 at Ruus Elementary and Cesar Chavez Middle Schools with a primary focus of supporting homework assistance with a recreation base.
Founders of the YEP were honored during the Lights on Afterschool celebration with the 2011 YEP Afterschool Heroes Award.
“[The award is] for people who came together back in 1996 who had a vision and wanted to implement an after school program for Hayward,” said Espinosa.  “We are acknowledging these heroes who started YEP, who thought of the vision, who were able to implement it and took it from the ground up and started running with it.”
Since its commencement, the program has expanded its services from two school sites to 30, servicing every K-12 school in the HUSD.
“[The program] has grown tremendously,” said Espinosa.  “We now service about 3,500 students during the school year only, not including our intersessions where we service additional students during break.”
Despite the recent budget cuts to education, Brown said the after school program has not yet been affected.  The YEP receives its primary funding from the After School and Education Grant and the five year 21st Century Grant, which offers both elementary and high school components.
“Our district initiative is to really help support our 21st century learners and I think YEP is really aligned with that, aligned with the curriculum, aligned with standards, aligned with supporting students,” said Brown.
The Hayward YEP has proven to be one of great value and high demand.
“Because we’re grant funded there’s a cap on how many spaces we have for each site due to our funding and each year we have hundreds of students who end up on the wait list,” said Brown.
There are currently 783 students waiting for a chance to be a part of Hayward’s after school learning program.
The YEP is continuously searching for ways to expand academic activities, physical education and nutritional programs to ensure that students are getting a quality education after school as well, said Espinosa.
With funds from Kaiser Permanente, Hayward’s after school program has recently expanded their services with the addition of a before school breakfast club that encourages students to choose nutritional food options that will promote a healthier lifestyle.
“One of the keys for young people to be successful in life is education and after school programs play a vital role in furthering the education our children get outside the classroom,” said Hayward Mayor Michael Sweeney.