Parking Structure to Cost $25 Million By Sanjna Chand Staff Writer

A new parking facility is set to be built this fall on the corners of West Loop and Harder Roads. Because of the skyrocketing enrollment assumed within the next 20 years, Cal State East Bay will need more parking spaces.
The construction will begin this September and will hold 1,100 cars. Its estimated cost is about $24.5 million, and that money will be supplied through faculty, staff and student parking fees and tickets.
“I know of the parking situation and how the project is being funded, through increases to current student parking fees,” said concerned student William Maldonado, a junior in the Communication department. “While proud of the University for attempting to expand I do not agree with the necessity of the project.”
“I don’t feel that current enrollment requires that this amount of parking spaces are needed, however it is the current students that are being forced into paying for the project, which will not be finished until many of us are out of school,” said Maldonado. “Ultimately with the state budget deficit, and the increase on student fees, I see this project as an irresponsible one given the current climate.
“I think its another hassle and pricey expense on the student body that is severely frustrating to us.”
In addition to the parking garage, the new facility will also contain a coffee shop and a walkway path from the garage to the campus.
Biology student, Sofia Hussein also disagreed with the project.
“Don’t believe in project and structure because it’s taking more money from the students who will no longer be there pretty soon, and building it only increases cuts in our education,” the 21-year-old Hussein said. “What’s the use of this garage when we won’t be students anymore? And more are not being able to pay for tuition and parking fees because of this.”
It is hopeful that students living on campus will use this parking facility more and more.
Teacher, Kevin Pina of the Communuications department said, “ Good luck to them. They’ve been trying to build this thing for years.”
Another student felt that the project was a smart idea, but that future students who use the project should be responsible to pay for it.
“It’s good, but I don’t think there is any point in us paying for it. We won’t be able to utilize it,” said Junior Vandana Chand of the Political Science Department. “ Build it and then hike up the fees for them.”
This facility will be built on the Southside of campus but it is clear that students about its development hold mixed feelings