Campus exhibition awards some, showcases most

Sam Benavidez,
Arts & Life Editor

Capping off the Spring quarter, the University Art Gallery’s Annual Juried Student Exhibition will close Thursday, June 11.

Over 95 students from various majors and mediums submitted work to the largest California State University, East Bay art exhibition of the year. Guest curator Dana Davis entered around 60 of those student submissions for judgment.

Gallery curator Philip Ringler, once a graduate student of his, brought in Davis, a photographer and professor at Contra Costa College and University of California, Berkeley.

“Judgment is difficult and, at bottom, arbitrary,” said Davis of his judging role. “It is something which artists will face all their careers. Whether I accepted or rejected your piece from the show, do not be deterred and keep working.”

The awards that students were given ranged from scholarships to a $75 gift card. The awards for first, second, and third place in the Outstanding

Student category were given to Justin Pastores for BFA Traditional Art, Tao Graham for BFA Traditional Art, and Brett Dotson for Graphic Design, respectively. First place was awarded a $1,250 scholarship, second $500, and third $350.

Submissions ranged from painting to sculpture, to drawing and graphic design.

“There were actually a few graphic design works,” said Kenneth Hung, CSUEB alumnus and gallery assistant. “I think because of the previous show, ‘In The Dark,’ we had a slight increase in the submissions from multimedia people.”

Other awards, most chosen by Davis, included donations from Friends of the Arts, San Leandro Art Association, Hayward Arts Council and the Pioneer Bookstore.

“I am very impressed with the quality of the work I was given to judge,” said Davis. “Narrowing was difficult as it always is.”

Davis has a wide range of interests when it comes to art that impresses him.

“I like quiet works which subtly draw you in and loud works which smack you in the face,” said Davis. “I am also attracted to expressed ideas which seem to come from a unique perspective but connect with something universal.”

The May 12 opening reception held over 200 people and the gallery has since seen an almost an additional 500 visitors in its first three weeks.

The Annual Juried Student Exhibition is open Monday through Thursday until June 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is free to the public.