California Must Move Beyond Affirmative Action

Education is the great equalizer. The opportunity to have an education is one of the greatest gifts we as Americans have at our disposal.

Within the last century, the disparities in that opportunity amongst different ethnic groups has grown, where greater poverty and violence, less resources and instruction in education, and the barriers to enter university contribute to undermine the political and economic capabilities of ethnic minorities as well as poor Caucasians.

Within the calendar year, the Supreme Court will once again reconsider the question of race-based affirmative action, as a U.S. appeals court has already upheld California’s ban last week, reaffirming that public schools cannot base admission on race, gender or ethnicity.

Whether or not affirmative action, or as some opponents would call it, “reverse discrimination,” withstands this latest test will be a significant indication of how the issue of race is viewed in our society today.

Affirmative action has produced a legacy of successes, as well as failing to eliminate poverty, racism and discrimination.

As the face of the United States continues to change and evolve, with a growing Latino and Middle Eastern population as well as more people identifying with two or more ethnicities, affirmative action continues to be a challenge as race becomes difficult to identify.

Here in the Bay Area, and especially in the city of Hayward, we see rampant socioeconomic segregation in our streets and neighborhoods, as well as positive enforcement with growing graduation rates and college enrollment in local universities such as CSU East Bay.

Yet, as this issue continues to be contested, we at The Pioneer are urging our senators, congressmen and judges to make a decision which will be inclusive of all people’s needs.
Affirmative action has repeatedly been struck down in this state and to pin our hopes for equality in education on a Supreme Court ruling that could easily uphold bans on affirmative action is gambling with the education of California’s children.

We cannot depend on affirmative action as the great equalizer of education.

Instead we must foster comprehensive reforms that recognize the most severe problems relating to disparities in ethnic minorities attending universities in California occur early in the state education system.

A condemning series of reports issued by the Civil Rights Project at UC Los Angeles last month shows only 17 percent of Latino and 19 percent of African-American students at community colleges who intend to transfer to a four-year university actually do so.

The report points to poor preparation of students in the K-12 system as an underlying reason for this disparity, with a rise in remedial classes reflecting this level of unpreparedness among students.

The economic realities of our budget and education means that restructuring is the best way forward as opposed to simplistic demands for more money.

That includes measures in high schools and community colleges that revolve around dual-enrollment programs to bridge the gap between high school and college.

A more streamlined transfer process, with uniform credit-transfer agreements across the entire state provides more opportunities for students of all ethnic backgrounds.

In this way, we can achieve a policy in education that is truly inclusive of all races, economic backgrounds and experiences.

The equality of education in our state along all ethnic lines is dependent on the greatest equalizer our state has ever had – our voices.