Domestic Violence Hits College Students Hard

Studies show that one in five women currently enrolled in college have been victims of domestic violence involving their significant other.

With statistics as appalling as this, college students should consider ways to protect themselves from domestic violence situations. Understanding the need to leave any uncomfortable situation should be a priority for students of all backgrounds.

When confronting relationship problems, women report that their significant other has threatened them with violence or pushed them to inflict self-harm.

For current college student Erica Booker, her boyfriend’s acts of violence took her by surprise.

“I never thought it would happen to me,” said Booker.  “You hear about situations of domestic violence on college campuses but the reality and seriousness of it doesn’t set in until it’s too late. He hit me and I couldn’t fight back. I was helpless.”

Fifty-three percent of domestic violence victims were abused by a current girlfriend or boyfriend, as reported by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.  Of that 53 percent, 13 percent are college students.

Experts say it’s important to not always assume that domestic violence is only committed by the male sex.

A survey of 16,000 Americans showed 22.1 percent of women and 7.4 percent of men reported being physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, cohabiting partner, boyfriend or girlfriend, or date in their lifetime, as reported by the United States Department of Justice.

Seeking help or guidance can be one of the most difficult tasks for students to overcome, but the reward is very beneficial. Talking to counselors and peers about warning signs may be the first step to getting help.

“Coming forward and talking about domestic violence is extremely difficult and unfortunately not enough people do it,” said a local police officer, who asked to remain anonymous.  “It is a very scary thing to have to deal with but we are here to help and to keep everyone safe. Events like these cannot continue to happen and go unspoken or the problems will just get worse.”

Both physical and verbal harm is unacceptable, and with the high number of domestic abuse cases on college campuses, it’s important to be aware that it can happen to anyone.

“It’s scary to think about all of this as my children embark on their college journey, but I am thankful that we have talked about these situations and that they have people in their life who they feel comfortable talking to,” said mother of four Lisa Donati.

Whether it is a sibling, parent, or friend, college students should always have someone they feel comfortable talking to about anything and be aware that there are hotlines available for students to call, which can be available to them from Health Services and Agencies anonymously.