Afghani Languages Now At Csueb

The Fall quarter at CSUEB will dish up a taste of diversity with two previously unavailable language classes.

Elementary courses will be offered for enrolled and community students in Pashto and Dari, the two dominant, official languages of Afghanistan. The university website describes these four unit classes as “introduction(s) to the speaking, listening, reading and writing of, [one of the languages] with emphasis on the appreciation of culture.”

Some student grumbling is afoot about how, in this crippled economy, these classes are becoming available when so many core classes have been discontinued, however, outside funding has made offering these classes a possibility.

According to Dr. Valerie Smith, the program organizer, the outside funding has become available by means of the National Security Education Program (NSEP), and dispersed through the Chancellor’s Office via the CSU Institute for International Education, to promote bilingualism and biculturalism in these areas.

Smith further stated that the Pashto and Dari Language Program was competitively awarded to CSU East Bay, as were similar awards to other CSU campuses in order to promote bilingualism in a variety of languages, adding that this development is a wonderful opportunity for students.

“It’s a refreshing change to be able to offer new classes in this budget climate. Because Pashto and Dari are two of the key strategic languages to resolving major world issues in Afghanistan and the surrounding regions, outside funding is available across the U.S. for people to learn these languages,” Smith said.

“Students can study Pashto or Dari, in conjunction with their bachelor’s and advanced degrees, to become professionals who are multilingual and multicultural,” she added.

The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan inspired millions of Afghani citizens to seek shelter elsewhere around the world, thus creating cultures of Diaspora. The East Bay, particularly Fremont, is home to the largest Afghan Diaspora community in the United States.

Smith, relying not only on available data, but her own extensive research estimates that there are, “Up to 30,000 first generation Afghans living in the San Francisco Bay Area, plus […] native born [American] children and grandchildren,” Smith said.

CSUEB president, Dr. Mohammad Qayoumi, a proud member of this Diaspora, hosted the Global Knowledge Conference on campus in October of last year. During this conference, Qayoumi presented an inspiring lecture on the ancient history of Persia, according to the Afghan Coalition website.

Though some may believe that Pashto and Dari are not noted as languages of commerce, Smith quickly corrected this common assumption. “Professional jobs are available in the global marketplace for Afghans and non-Afghans in the business, non-profit, and government sectors in these languages,” she said.

Ed McDermott, Senior Program Manager of the Language Flagship section of the NSEP, did not substantiate the method of funding Smith described.

According to McDermott, “[…] the federal grant to California State University was not made by NSEP, nor was it competitively awarded,” he said. “This grant award was stipulated by Congress as a[n] ‘earmark’ to the Department of Defense appropriations,” he added.

“CSU leadership sought these funds through their Congressional delegation,” McDermott continued, “The Department, [of defense] through NSEP, was directed by Congress to award these funds to CSU,” he stated.

“We are not involved in or responsible for any decisions made by the CSU leadership,” McDermott said in response to the concerns that budget cuts and restrictions have had an adverse effect on many of our students being able to complete their degree requirements.

I stand, humbly, corrected.