AMZ_CSUEB

Chancellor Reed Announces Retirement from the CSU

Chancellor Reed retired after 14 years.
Courtesy: House Committee on Education and
the Workforce Dem

The Chancellor of the California State University (CSU) system announced last week his intention to retire from leading the nation’s largest public university system after 14 years.

Charles B. Reed has been the chief executive officer for the CSU system since 1998, after previously serving as Chancellor of the Florida State University (FSU) system.

The 70-year-old chancellor said he intends to move back to Florida as soon as his successor is named.

“I am proud to have served at this great institution through such a dynamic period in its history,” said Reed in a statement to students, faculty and staff. “Our campuses have continued to flourish even in the face of budgetary challenges and tremendous growth.”

“I am now looking forward to retirement as a chance to spend more time with my wife, children and five grandsons, and to pursue more of the higher education-related projects that are my passion,” continued Reed.

Since taking office, the CSU has admitted 100,000 additional students to its ranks, totaling 427,000 in 2011. A new CSU campus was opened at Channel Islands in 2002, which now accommodates over 4,000 students.

“Nobody has cared more about the mission of the university, worked harder despite overwhelming challenges or advocated more passionately on behalf of the CSU than Charlie Reed,” said Bill Hauck, a member of the CSU Board of Trustees. “His leadership over more than 14 years has been invaluable, and he has managed the institution through some of the most difficult times in its history.“

In 2005, a new doctoral program was added to help meet demand for highly educated teachers; the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in educational leadership, which is currently offered at 13 CSU campuses.

Reed spearheaded the enactment of a transfer Associate of Arts degree (AA) in 2010, which streamlined the transfer process for students with 60 transferrable units. The CSU contends this new system will save “millions of dollars” and also add space for up to 54,000 additional students.

In 2010, Reed oversaw the establishment of a transfer Associate of Arts degree (AA), which guaranteed CSU enrollment for students with 60 transferrable units. The CSU contends this new system will save “millions of dollars” and also add space for up to 54,000 additional students.

Colleagues such as Mark Yudof, President of the University of California – praise Reed for leading the CSU through difficult economic times and for his efforts to expand access to higher education in the face of persistent budget cuts.

“The Chancellor has been an effective and reliable ally in the fight to keep alive for future generations of Californians the promise of an affordable, top quality education,” said Yudof.
“Chancellor Reed’s legacy of public service includes his tireless, multi-dimensional campaign to reach students who might otherwise not have put themselves on a path toward college, in the process greatly expanding access to Californians of all backgrounds.”

Much of Reed’s tenure has been marked by severe budget cuts stemming from decreasing financial support from the state. According to the CSU, state funding has decreased by $1 billion over the last four years, even as demand for enrollment increased.

Recently, Reed has been the target of protest by students and faculty, who criticize him for increasing the salaries of campus presidents and administrators while simultaneously increasing student tuition, which has nearly quadrupled since 2002.

In March, the CSU Board of Trustees gave a 10 percent pay hike to the Presidents at CSU East Bay and CSU Fullerton, drawing protests from students and faculty who argued the raises were inappropriate in the face of budget cuts. The CSU says the raises are needed to attract the best candidates possible.

Reed’s administration has been locked in tense contract negotiations with the California Faculty Association (CFA) – the union that represents CSU faculty – since 2010, after the previous contract expired.

The CFA, who recently voted to strike next fall if negotiations fail, conceded that Reed has “presided over an era of unprecedented turmoil” for the CSU system, but criticized him for placing most of the burden on students.

“This ‘changing of the guard’ provides a unique opportunity to reflect on the direction of the CSU, and to improve the quality of education at the nation’s largest university system,” said the CFA in a statement. “We sincerely hope and will actively work to make sure Chancellor Reed’s retirement will offer an opportunity to usher in an era of better relations among CSU faculty, staff, students and system management.”