Swim team wins on “Senior Day”

Photo by Susi Larsen/The Pioneer

Photo by Susi Larsen/The Pioneer

Marissa Marshall,
Staff Writer

The Cal State East Bay women’s swim team went 1-1 this past weekend, but earned a win in their final home meet for seniors, which made it a memorable one.

After a full week of rain, the Pioneers fell to the Division 1 San Jose State Spartans in a dual meet on Friday, 144-116 during a sunny yet cold day at the Pioneer pool in Hayward.

The Pioneers swam in 14 races and managed to win 5 against the Division 1 Spartans. Senior Madison Hauanio finished in second place in the 1000 freestyle with a time of 10:50:97. “It is always more of a challenge going against a Division 1 school, but I go out there and swim my hardest every time I dive into the pool,” Hauanio said.

East Bay managed to pull off a few wins, including junior Morgan McClure’s victory in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:52:85. Freshman Victoria Zukerman also won in the 200 butterfly by about 3 seconds, with a time of 2:08:07.

Though the Pioneers were dominated by the Spartans, they showed resilience and determination throughout the day. Many races were close like junior Jensyn Brookfield’s, who came in second in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07:42.

Overall the Pioneers fell to San Jose, but closed the day on a high note when they captured the last race of the day, the 200 freestyle relay. Sophomore Viva Hua, junior Kali Kearns, junior Shelby Parker and Hauanio won the race by one second with a time of 1:38:86.

The next morning, East Bay shifted their focus to the next race against conference rival Azusa Pacific, which was also the senior game for their four seniors: Kayleigh Davidson, Hauanio, Mariam Lowe and Tiffany Wong.

“It was exciting yet emotional to go out there and swim the last home conference game,” Hauanio said. “Time flies so quickly and you do not even notice.”

The senior game was the final home game of conference play for the Pioneers and they ended on a high note by finishing first in the 200 medley relay with junior Claire Beaty, Zukeran, Parker and Lowe.

East Bay capped off their senior day by blowing the Cougars out of the water, 127-75. Azusa Pacific had just one win on the day in the 200 freestyle as East Bay’s Hauanio came in second by 2 seconds with a time of 1:58:05.

East Bay players finished in the top three in the 200 individual medley: McClure came in first at 2:06:08 by 8 seconds and Zukerman and Beaty finished in second and third.

East Bay dominated the entire day against Azusa and capped off their last home and senior game with smiles on their face.

The win puts East Bay’s record in dual meets at 6-5 and 6-1 against non-Division 1 teams. East Bay grabbed 10 out of 11 victories against Azusa and head to Fresno this weekend to play Fresno Pacific and Fresno State, Friday at 3 p.m. and Saturday at noon, respectively.