Men’s basketball struggle at home

Back to Article
Back to Article

Men’s basketball struggle at home

CSUEB senior guard Nick Grieves sizes up a defender on senior night against Humboldt State on Saturday at Pioneer Gymnasium in Hayward.

KRISTIANA FEDERE/COURTESY

KRISTIANA FEDERE/COURTESY

KRISTIANA FEDERE/COURTESY

Sports and Campus Editor

The struggle continued for the Cal State East Bay men’s basketball team over the weekend after they lost both home games at Pioneer Gymnasium in Hayward.

The Pioneers lost to Cal State San Bernardino 78-65 on Friday and fell again on Saturday to Humboldt State 81-57.

CSUEB is now 6-20 overall and 4-16 in California Collegiate Athletic Association Conference games this season. This will be the fifth consecutive losing season in a row for the Pioneers who have amassed a 34-98 record over that span.

CSUEB played the Coyotes (12-11 overall, 12-8 conference) tough on Friday and found themselves in a battle at halftime with the score tied at 32.

Freshman forward Patrick Marr and senior guard Jacari Whitfield led the way in the first half for the Pioneers as both scored ten points. Marr was held scoreless in the second half and Whitfield added six more points but it was not enough as CSUSB was able to put away the Pioneers by 13 points.

Coyote junior guard Jacob Thomas scored a game-high 21 points, nine assists, and four rebounds in the victory and senior guard Isaiah Morton finished with 20 points and five assists in the win. Senior Cody Kale and sophomore Paramvir Singh both managed to reach double-digit scoring for the Pioneers in the loss.

“Our offense was not our issue in this game,” CSUEB Head Coach Gus Argenal said. “Instead it was our inability to get consecutive defensive stops.”

The Pioneers were hopeful that they could bounce back on senior night on Saturday against the Jacks (19-7, 13-7), but Humboldt State put a damper on the festivities after they beat CSUEB by 24 points, 81-57.

Nick Grieves, Jarred Jourdan, Kale, Darrick McIntosh, and Whitfield were all honored before Saturday’s game and competed for the final time at Pioneer Gymnasium for CSUEB. Despite great games from Kale and Whitfield the Pioneers could not overcome the onslaught by the Jacks in the second half, where they were outscored by 19 points by the Jacks.

“We demonstrated mental toughness and displayed our physicality against Cal State East Bay,” Humboldt State Head Coach Steve Kinder said. “This is a very tough place to play and getting a win tonight shows that we are continuing to improve each game.”

The Jacks had five players score ten points or more, forced 17 Pioneer turnovers and out-rebounded CSUEB 37-27. The Pioneers have two regular season games left, both of which are on the road. They travel to Turlock to take on Cal State Stanislaus (15-10, 12-8) at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and then travel to Chico on Saturday to take on the Chico State Wildcats 7:30 p.m.

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Metro

Suspect arrested in Nia Wilson slaying

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Features

Cannabis is now for pets

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Artist paints dolls on Bay Area Walls

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Tradition nonexistent in my college experience

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

California Roots throws party over Memorial Day weekend

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Students create their own shows

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Multicultural sorority established on CSUEB Hayward campus

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Black people need gangster rap music

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Bay Area Mural Festival takes over Oakland

• Men’s basketball struggle at home

Showcase

Women’s water polo season wraps up

Men’s basketball struggle at home