Starting+college+proves+pricey+

Infographic | Tam Duong Jr.

Starting college proves pricey

December 10, 2014

With college application deadlines approaching, many aspiring college students prepare for the vigorous task of preparing for college. While higher learning comes at a high price, many graduating high school students are unaware of some of the hidden costs that it takes just to get into college:

SAT   Registration   Fee – $52.50. Subject   Test Fee – $26. Language with Listening Test – $26.

A standardized test is meant to qualify students for college. The test is to show colleges what students know, and affects college admission based on the university. Some colleges require a subject test for different placements. It has been recently redesigned, and scores range between 200 to 800 per test.

College       Applications:      $55.00    CSU,   $70.00 UC

Each applications requires a payment upon submission when applying. If a student does receive a fee waiver, they are only allowed up to 4, but the rest must be paid for afterwards.

Placement Tests: $36 for CSU, $110 for UC
California State Universities requires students in the 11th grade to take a placement test for both English and Mathematics, unless they were exempt from scores because of AP tests.

UC’s require a Entrée Level Writing test to be taken by applicant if they did not receive an acceptable score in their SAT, ACT, or take AP English and pass with a 3 or better.

Extra Costs (optional):
Housing Application: $20-$65 dollars for CSU and UC
Before student have even decided which school they are going to attend they are encouraged to apply for housing, as most schools are impacted and fill spaces fast.

Initial Payment: $500-$800 CSU and UC.
First payments for housing must be paid to ensure their spaces are saved before move in date. (fee waiver possible)

Parking Permits: $300-$500 a year, UC and CSU.
Most schools require a parking permit for students to leave their cars on campus, regardless if they live in housing or not.

SAT/ACT prep: $29.99-$499.99.
Pre tests are offered for both college exams, ranging anywhere between self paced books, or classes that “guarantee” higher scores.

The Pioneer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in