CSUEB hosts Global Appreciation Fest

By Jessica Irrera, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
Diversity in our student and faculty population is California State University, East Bay’s biggest source of pride. Events that highlight our beautiful community are utilized in order to spread awareness, education, and information regarding the important groups on campus that actively promote their culture and unity. International Education Week and CSUEB’s Global Appreciation Fest are just some of the ways that our students and faculty can share information with the larger campus community about their lifestyles and customs.
International Education Week is a joint initiative created by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education that aims to inform American students about international education services and opportunities to study abroad, according to the International Education Week mission statement.
Groups like Indian Students Association, the Pilipianx American Student Association, the Korean Consulate, and the Study Abroad department arranged tables at the Global Appreciation Fest for students to access information about the opportunities available for domestic students to engage in if they are interested in continuing their education in other countries.
“This is a national event, so almost every school is doing it. All of the other states and other countries put in their universities and what they are doing, and I wanted us to be in there too to showcase us,” Student Services Coordinator Cheryl Tan said in an interview. “Every day [of International Education Week] we have some programs [available] to show domestic students about other countries.”
Many groups came to Grad Fest from around the Bay Area to highlight the opportunities that they can provide for students interested in travel. Some groups provided games, informational brochures, and snacks.
“We have a map of India with some monuments on it that are famous in India, and we have some information about those places. We just want everyone to learn more about India,” Indian Students Association member Garima Gupta said.
Students were excited to learn about other cultures and education opportunities and were happy to enjoy the keynote speakers and the Thanksgiving-style food provided for the event.
“I can say as a student in the Social Work department that I am kind of enhancing my knowledge and cultural awareness and humility,” John Medina Jr. said. “One of the tables actually had a cultural competency engaging activity and from there I went from table to table and learned some geography of India and other things.”