Project Censored Radio show records on East Bay Campus

Daniel McGuire,
Staff Writer

Project Censored is a non-profit started at Sonoma State in 1976 by Dr. Carl Jensen with the intent of developing student media literacy and critical thinking skills. Since then, it has developed into an annually published book exemplifying the top 25 “most censored and under-reported stories in the US,” according to the Project Censored website.

Project Censored also has a radio show that records on the CSUEB campus twice a month and airs on Fridays from 1-2 p.m.

The radio show consists of co-hosts Dr. Nolan Higdon and Dr. Nicholas Baham III as well as student reporter Amiee Casey and director and sound engineer Mitchell Scorza.

When asked about Project Censored making a home at CSU East Bay, Higdon told The Pioneer, “We chose CSU East Bay because we have a commitment to social justice and East Bay has one of the most diverse campuses in terms of race, economics and ethnicity.”

Project Censored records their radio show on the CSUEB campus instead of the KPFA studios in Berkeley because “it gives us a chance to get students on the air and highlight the work students are doing. It also gives students experience in editing, producing, disseminating as well as participating in radio, which we feel is really important,” according to Higdon.

“When Project Censored approached us, I immediately took it to the faculty. The faculty was very excited about the prospect,” said communication department chair Dr. Mary Cardaras.

She seemed hopeful and excited about this project’s future on campus. “What’s going to happen next is we’re going to develop a proposal for the provost and the dean of our college and propose that East Bay and the communication department become a permanent home for Project Censored, and hopefully, too, we have a bright future because we’ll also be hosting the Media Freedom Foundation summits,” Cardaras added.