No “creepy clowns” at campus costume contest

Tishauna Carrell,
Staff Writer

On Halloween, Associated Students Inc. will host the campus’s very first Halloween Costume Contest. The event will take place from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Agora Stage at the Cal State East Bay Hayward campus. The Bay Area’s own DJ Slay, will spin hip-hop music and campus food service Aramark will serve hotdogs, hamburgers and veggie burgers.

This will be the third planned event by ASI’s new Director of Programming, Hunter Rangel, who believes that Halloween is an underestimated holiday. “I’ve never seen a Halloween costume contest on campus and wanted to create more enlightenment and activity,” said Rangel. Rangel said he has been planning this event since late August.

The contest is free to attend and will begin around 1:30 p.m. Contestants will be judged on their creativity and can win one of three prizes. First place wins a Beats by Dre pill speaker, second place takes home a $75 gift card to the bookstore and third place a $50 gift card to the bookstore, according to Rangel. ASI will be tabling and giving away free prizes like chapstick, beanies, school supplies and Klean Kanteens to the first 50 students who stop by their table.

The CSUEB University Police Department has prohibited clown costumes and makeup from this contest due to the “creepy clown” trend that has gone viral on social media as of late. It started with people dressing as clowns to lure children into the woods in South Carolina and spread as a prank in over 30 states.

“We don’t want people panicking,” said East Bay’s Cpl. Norman Marsh. “We just to make sure there’s no incidents like that and you guys are safe.”