Professor emeritus of psychology dies

Kali Persall,
Managing Editor

Dr. Lyle D. Edmison, professor emeritus of psychology and former vice president of Student Services, died on May 4 in Cameron Park, California, according to an announcement from the Office of Academic Affairs. He was 91 years old.

Edmison was hired at East Bay in 1959, the same year the school was founded by President Fred F. Harcleroad, who passed away at age 93 in 2012. According to the official CSUEB website, in 1959, the school was known as the State College for Alameda County. A few years and name revisions later, it was renamed California State College at Hayward in 1961.

According to the Office of Academic Affairs, Edmison was the first person hired by President Harcleroad at CSC Hayward.

Edmison remained involved with the campus after his retirement. East Bay’s Annual Report of Private Giving shows that Edmison and his wife Phyllis contributed between $1,000 to $2,499 in the Director’s Circle category as recently as the 2006-2007 year.

Edmison served as the associate dean of students until 1961, when he was appointed dean of students and later vice president of Student Services in 1984. He retired in 1991 with a number of recognitions under his belt, including the NASPA Foundation Scott Goodnight Award for Outstanding Performance as a Dean from Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education in 1982.

According to the Office of Academic Affairs, a memorial service is not scheduled at this time, pending a family decision later this year.