CSUEB Parking lot signs out of order

By Tam Duong Jr./The Pioneer

News and Sports Editor

When the parking lots opened in September on Cal State East Bay’s campus, things were supposed to be more convenient for students and faculty. The new lots added 325 new parking spots to serve a predominantly commuter student body and electronic signs at the entrances inform drivers how many parking spots were available.

However, those signs have caused more confusion than convenience. Since the first day of the fall quarter, the signs have constantly read that the maximum number of spots are available, even during peak parking times when the lots are clearly full.

“The problem is that folks are driving over both lanes as they enter [and] exit the lots,” according to Derrick Lobo, parking & transportation services manager for the university. “That throws the count off and eventually locks up the system.”

To fix the problem, barriers will be installed between the entrance and exit lanes during the break between winter and spring quarter. The posts are designed to force people to pick a lane and not drift into both. Lobo said that once the barriers are installed, the electronic counters will be reset and “they will hopefully work as advertised.”

The new lots were completed in September on the site of the former Warren Hall, which was demolished on Aug. 17, 2013, primarily because of concerns over the safety of the building during an earthquake. On Jan. 22, 2013 the CSU Board of Trustees approved $50 million to replace Warren Hall, which was rated the least safe building in an earthquake for any campus by the CSU Seismic Review Board in 2010.

The $38 million Warren Hall replacement building, the Academic Services Building, opened in the back of campus earlier this year and according to the Facilities & Development Depart was funded by, “a lease revenue bond from the chancellor’s office that was provided by the state government.” The $3.7 million parking lot project was approved as part of last year’s school budget.
The two new parking lots contain 830 total parking spaces for staff, faculty, students and visitors, whereas the old parking lots that were in use contained 505 total spots. For some students, the signs have caused confusion.

“I pull in and I’m like cool, there’s a lot of spots,” freshman Alex Pineda said. “Then you drive around for a few minutes and realize there aren’t any. I just end up parking in the back and walking.”

Lobo suggested that people disregard the numbers on the signs until the spring quarter begins and the adjustments have been implemented.