Student With Autism Hosts Radio Show

Henry Ochs, also known as “Hammerin’ Hank,” is a mass communication major at Chabot College with autism who hosts the show “Wednesday Mayhem” from noon to 3 p.m.

For the past 30 years, 89.9 FM KCRH, Hayward’s only licensed radio station, has been providing local students with educational and entertainment career opportunities.

“I have always viewed our radio program as a stepping stone to a four-year university for our students,” said Professor Chad Mark Glen, the faculty advisor for KCRH.

KCRH, located on the campus of Chabot College, has been licensed by the FCC since 1981. The award-winning station is staffed entirely by students who learn the technical and performance skills necessary to succeed in the highly competitive radio and broadcasting industry.

Students can earn an Associate in Arts Degree in Radio and Television Broadcasting. These courses are also applicable towards a communications degree at a four-year university.

“We have an articulation agreement with other four-year universities,” said Glen. “For example if you take MCOM 40 at Chabot, that class will give the student credit towards the BECA 200 broadcasting class at San Francisco State University.”

Bernard Bautista is the Operations Supervisor/Program Director of KCRH and provides guidance and technical training for the station’s communications students.

“I’ve been with KCRH for five years,” said Bautista. “We are providing students in the area a local stepping stone into radio and television career opportunities. Our students receive hands-on training with industry standard equipment. Using our state-of-the-art equipment prepares them for real life situations in the radio industry.”

Henry Ochs, 43, is an autistic student participating in the broadcasting program. He goes by his DJ name, Hammerin’ Hank, on the air and hosts his own show called Wednesday Mayhem, which airs every Wednesday from noon to 3 p.m.

“I am the world’s most lovable autistic,” said Ochs. “I started at KCRH in January 1992 as an on-air personality, and later that year I became that the station’s Public Service Announcement Director.

After my first stint at KCRH, I worked at Wild 107, which is now Wild 94.9 FM.

“I made occasional appearances on the Man-Cow morning show, and in 1996 I joined JV’s morning show called ‘The Doghouse,’” said Ochs. “I did their dirty work by performing stunts, prank calls, and interviews. I was on JV’s show for almost ten years. KCRH’s community presence is helping autistic people like myself get into commercial radio and is raising awareness about autism.”

Another radio personality, Michael D. Sykes, is a Mass Communications student who has his own show on KCRH.

“I have been working at KCRH for about three years now,” said Sykes. “I have a radio show called the Mikey Mike show that’s on Mondays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. I play Top 40, R&B, hip hop, and old school.”

“When I finish at Chabot, I’m going to transfer to Cal State East Bay and get an internship at a radio station,” said Sykes.

Many students who learn the radio craft move on to professional careers in the radio industry. Aaron Axelsen, host of the Soundcheck show on Live 105 FM, is an alumni of Chabot College, and hosted a show on KCRH before moving on to the CBS-owned KITS.

KCRH not only turns out successful radio personalities and technicians, but it also gives back to the community it serves.

“One way we help the community is through food drives and toy drives,” said Professor Glen. “We help local organizations raise money through fund raisers. We also provide free services and entertainment for events in the community and on the Chabot campus.”

Besides tuning into 89.9 FM, listeners can find out more about their favorite DJs and can listen to KCRH online at kcrhradio.com.