Students and staff say goodbye to professors

Courtesy of Office of Academic Affairs

Lisette Torres,
Social and Online Editor

It is a somber time for Cal State East Bay, as students, faculty and staff say goodbye to three professors and pioneers this month: Dr. Delmo Della-Dora, Dr. Douglas Sprague and Dr. Diane Satin.

The Office of Academic Affairs informed the university of the passing of Della-Dora, Professor Emeritus of Teacher Education who was a faculty member from 1973 to 1992 and was recognized for his community involvement. He served as president to local, non-profit organization, Ruby’s Place, a domestic-violence shelter, for many years.  Memorial services will be Jan. 23 at 3 p.m., at the First Presbyterian Church in Castro Valley. His cause of death is unknown at this time.

The Academic Affair’s office also confirmed the passing of Dr. Douglas Sprague, Professor Emeritus of Educational Psychology on Jan. 6. Dr. Sprague was a faculty member for 40 years. His memorial service will be held Saturday, Jan. 30th, at 2 p.m., at Starr King Unitarian Universalist Church in Hayward. His cause of death was also undisclosed at the time of publication.

School officials announced the passing of professor Dr. Diane Satin on Jan. 9. The Department of Accounting and Finance shared the sad news with faculty members and students on Jan. 14. According to the department, Dr. Satin was deeply involved with numerous university groups and served on various committees. Dr. Satin was an active professor, teaching three accounting courses this quarter. Her career at CSUEB began in September 1990 and she contributed greatly to the department since.

The university held a memorial service for Dr. Satin on Wednesday in the New University Union. Many attended the service to remember and pay their respects.

“She would always request larger classes to accommodate her students,” Dr. Nancy Marigold, accounting and finance chair, recalled as she held back tears, “she was doing what she loved to do.”