TAM DUONG JR./THE PIONEER

16th Annual Night of Jazz comes to Yoshi’s

February 12, 2015

As the 16th Annual Night of Jazz at Yoshi’s in Oakland approaches,California State University, East Bay Director of Jazz Studies Mitch Butler reflected on last year’s jazz orchestra performance.

“[That was] my first time [at Yoshi’s] as a conductor or a performer. When you play in a theater like this, you have professional, world class sound,” said Butler. “We’ve gotten more graduate students into the program this year, a few more students overall. The skill and the level is going up from last year.”

Last year, they performed for a sold-out crowd at Yoshi’s in Oakland, the band stormed through 11 numbers that featured guest artists Mike Olmos and Marvin McFadden. This year’s Feb. 16 performance will be slightly different because of the band’s increase in members and shortened set time.

This time around the band will feature guest tenor saxophonist and drummer Howard Wiley. A veteran jazz performer and Berkeley native, Wiley’s first ever recording was released at the age of just 15 and he has since performed across the United States and Canada with jazz orchestras as well as swing and blues bands.

“Howard was one of the first people I met when I moved to town,” said Butler. “He’s known throughout the country in jazz circles. He’s a fantastic saxophonist and drummer.”

The CSUEB Jazz Orchestra rehearses year-round, with their main performances, including Night of Jazz, held during the winter and spring quarters.

Yoshi’s in Oakland has hosted the event for all 16 years. This gives CSUEB jazz students a chance to perform on a high-quality sound system in a professional setting.

Night of Jazz was put together as a benefit show for the program, with all proceeds from tickets directed to scholarship and special event funds for CSUEB’s Music Department.

This is Butler’s second Night of Jazz as director of the band, and he appreciates the hard work of the group and the participation of the more experienced students.

“Everybody contributes in their own way,” said Butler, “We wouldn’t be where we are today without everybodys contributions, but the graduate students have made a big impact on the culture and the climate of the music study.”

The band will perform for about 70 minutes, which is shorter than last year’s show due to a scheduling conflict with the venue.

Numbers include covers of classic jazz groups and composers such as Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald.

This year the group will perform eight songs, as opposed to last year, where they performed eleven in the night.

Tickets for CSUEB’s 16th Annual Night of Jazz are available for $20 at the door at Yoshi’s and on their website at www.yoshis.com.

The Pioneer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in