Homecoming festivities planned for CSUEB

January 29, 2015

Next week California State University, East Bay will celebrate its annual homecoming which will include a talent and fashion show, a parade, and athletic events.

The week of festivities, from Feb. 2 to Feb. 7, has been called ‘Homecoming 2015: Pioneers, Go Forth!’ geared toward fostering the involvement of faculty, staff, students, and the community in the week of events and activities. The festivities begin on Monday with a door decorating contest and campus community service project aimed at beautifying the campus and surroundings.

“Pioneers, Go Forth! is like a rally cry to all,” Assistant Athletics Director of External Operations Darrell Bailey Sr. said. “It is our way to promote to the Pioneer family that we are pioneers and that we are going forward, above, and beyond.”

The Homecoming Kickoff will begin at 11:30 a.m. on Monday on Agora Lawn in front of the Pioneer Bookstore. Students will have the opportunity to play games, win prizes, and enjoy music during the kickoff event.

At 7 p.m. on Tuesday in the University Theater, students will recreate the iconic “Showtime at the Apollo” talent show event, which will be closed out by soul singer and Oakland native Goapele. The Bay Area native released a new album titled “Strong as Glass” at the end of last year and will perform both new and old music.

“I am so excited to see Goapele perform,” business major Amir Sahil said. “I mean the whole week should be really cool, I think it’s great that East Bay is doing this. It makes me feel like I am at a huge school with Division I programs.”

At noon on Feb. 5 Agora Stage will have a Pioneer Pride fashion show with CSUEB students serving as the models. The women’s softball team will host the Academy of Art University in a double header that begins at noon as well Feb. 5.

On Feb. 6 the men’s baseball team will take center stage as they host doubleheader against visiting Northwestern Nazarene University with first pitch slated for 11 a.m.

Campus organizations will participate in the homecoming parade across campus that ends at Pioneer Gymnasium prior to the tip-off of the women and men’s basketball games at 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. respectively. There will also be a tailgate party hosted by Greek Life at 4 p.m. and a Pioneer garage sale featuring vintage gear for sale in the gym lobby at 5 p.m.

The final day of homecoming week will feature the fourth annual Alumni Social from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Pioneer Bookstore. Alumni are encouraged to dress in school attire or colors and participate in the social events before walking over together to Pioneer Gymnasium for the final events of the week, the men and women’s basketball games against San Francisco State. Tip-off for the women is slated for 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. for the men.

CSUEB will celebrate five decades of Pioneers and spirit awards.

As well, king and queen will be announced during the basketball games.

For more information visit www.eastbaypioneers.com and click on the homecoming link for more details.

The Pioneer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in