Letter to the Editor

To whom it may concern:

My name is Evelyn Yaque and I’m currently enrolled as a full-time student for the Winter Quarter 2014.

The reason for this email is to let you know that since June 15, 2012 I am not hidden in the shadows as many other students are.

I am considered a Dreamer student, I don’t know if you are familiar with this immigration issue. But a dreamer is considered by the Immigration Law to be a child that was brought to this country when they were under the age of 16-years-old.

So, I fall in this category and in 2012 a law passed and granted us (Dreamers) DACA to have a work permit and for those students that meet such requirements will be giving State aid starting January 1, 2013.

I do qualify for that help as well, but unfortunately I missed the deadline in which the University didn’t have the deadline at the time I wanted to apply, and I just applied in the summer of last year.

I called the Admissions office several times and asked about the status of my Cal Dream Act application, and they told me that it was still in progress. So, by November I called and the office confirmed I was granted the State University Grant (Dream).

The week before the classes started I called to make sure that everything was fine with the State University Grant (Dream) that I was supposed to receive, and how would it work because I knew I had to pay on my own the difference on the amount of which would only be a small very small portion of the amount due. The office clerk told me that everything was fine that the funds will be taken automatically and the remaining balance would show up on my CSUEB.

The classes started Monday Jan. 6, 2014. I went to my second class, third class and Monday was like a dream day everything seemed to be so perfect.

On Tuesday morning I went to the Bookstore right at 8 am to purchase my books to start doing my homework for Wednesday (today) then, I thought to go to the Admissions office to make sure everything was fine and to arrange when I will be paying the remaining balance.

To my surprise the person at the front desk of the Admissions office told me I don’t have any State University Grant (Dream) to cover my tuition for the winter quarter? I was shocked! And I told her it has to be a mistake because I had asked so many times about the State University Grant (Dream) place in my CSUEB which indicated the Aid was granted, and the date the funds will be taking place.

She says, ‘no! you (me) don’t have any aid for this quarter and if you like you can apply for the 2014-2015 calendar year State Aid!’

I couldn’t say anything else because I was heartbroken in that moment, so I went home had a moment alone CALLED again and ask to make sure that this was just a mistake, the person that answered my phone call told me that I DID HAVE State University Grant (Dream)  THAT SHE COULD SEE THAT AID LISTED ON MY ACCOUNT ON CSUEB THEREFORE SHE DIDN’T KNOW WHY THE OTHER CLERK TOLD ME I DIDN’T HAVE ANY.

AT this point I was totally confused, because one person tells me I don’t have the State Aid and the other person tells me I do! The clerk that told me that I do have the State Aid even told that in the case that I wasn’t eligible for that State Aid, why was it that I had it posted under my account and I was able to see it and she was able to see it.

I requested to speak with a financial aid counselor and the clerk told me that I couldn’t because she had tell me everything already and the only thing she said is “I am sorry” and that was all she told last.

Those people working at the office have played with my emotions and feelings, have discriminated against me and have humiliated my dignity. All I need is to speak with someone that is willing to explain this matter with me and fix the mistakes that the office clerks have made on me.

I cannot afford school on my own otherwise I wouldn’t be so concerned about this Aid.

Thank you,
Evelyn Yaque
CSUEB Student