Associated Students Rejects Sacramento Rally Proposal

A protest is scheduled for today on campus, sponsored by the California Faculty Association (CFA) and organized by Students for Quality Education (SQE) in conjunction with a statewide-organized event to protest budget cuts to education.

Called “Stand up For Public Higher Education on California State University campuses,” CSU East Bay is listed on the CFA’s press release from Feb. 27 as one of 14 CSU campuses to participate in campus demonstrations.

For CSUEB, the event, “Peoples University Liberate Education” will be held on Agora Stage, and “teach-ins” are scheduled to occur.

In addition, the press release announced an “Occupy the Capitol” event for Mar. 5, an action being organized by the Sacramento Labor Council to assemble college students and supporters to rally in front of the capitol building to protest legislative issues in Sacramento affecting higher education.

Many students have expressed both desire for the protest as well as discontent, with differing opinions over what student activism can or cannot do.

“I remember last year’s and it was pointless,” said Anthony Chen, Biology major. “It was led by CFA, teachers, you know? That’s not a student protest, so I don’t see the point anymore.”

Some students contrasted in opinions with Chen, saying “student activism is dead” and that “teachers might be the only ones to help us out.”

“Well what else can we do about budget cuts? These teachers are the only ones looking out for us it seems, so I don’t know if I’ll participate but I think it’s still necessary,” said Environmental Science major Nicolas Zutger.

Associated Students Inc. (ASI) board members voted unanimously Wednesday to not spend ASI money to fund a bus for students to travel to Sacramento for the protest they also mentioned concern over the necessity of spending on an event they feel hasn’t been marketed enough.

“One does not go into battle knowing that the battle is pointless,” said Mark Laluan, Director of External Affairs.

“We don’t have a lot of money and now were going to spend something like $1,500 on a bus to Sacramento?” Lyla Pehrson, Vice President of Internal Affairs, said during the meeting. “We need to get the correct student involvement and get the word out. Why are we spending this money if no one even knows that we are going to the capital? I don’t want us to waste this valuable money that the students have given us and entrusted us with.”

Members of the board did mention their decision does not speak to personal opinions about the protest or march, but in deciding over funds did not feel the event was marketed enough to sustain spending that amount.

According to Courtney Symonds, Director of Legislative Affairs, “Due to the fact that the legislature will not be present that day, I do not think taking students is the best expenditure of ASI funds.

“I think money would be better spent if a trip was arranged later in the year with lobbying appointments or a trip to attend a legislative hearing on an issue pertaining to higher education,” she said. “I think students would get more out of their experience actually meeting legislators and talking with them and their staffers.”

For some students, the two upcoming protests will be an interesting look at how persuasive protests of that sort can or can’t be.

“I hadn’t heard about it, but even now I’m just wondering how different they are from any other protest like that in the past year,” said Criminal Justice major Angela Nassamuen. “I’ll be interested in seeing what happens on Thursday and in Sacramento and if something good will actually come out of it. I doubt it, but I hope I’m proved wrong.”