Returning Veterans Find A Home at Cal State East Bay

It can often be hard for veterans to transition back to civilian life after serving in the Armed Forces. The new generation of men and women returning from deployment oversees has not been immune from this struggle. Veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, many still in there early to mid-twenties, have to navigate the challenges of receiving their benefits, finding employment, enrolling in college, and supporting their families.
Here at Cal State East Bay, many soldiers-turned-students have found a welcoming academic community due in large part to the Student Veterans Organization (SVO) and the Veterans Office.
Since the 1940s, the G.I. Bill has provided financial support for veterans of the American Armed Forces looking to receive an education. Recently, Congress passed the Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, or the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, to further assist the influx of veterans caused by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Despite the government’s efforts, there are many barriers for veterans trying to access higher education.
Christopher Palisoc, the president of the SVO, says “the whole problem, chiefly, is getting it rolling.”
Veterans enrolling in classes for the first time often have to fill out form after form and stop by the Office of Financial Aid multiple times.
Many veterans nationwide have found it hard to receive their V.A. benefits and prove that they meet the requirements to collect them. The amount of aid they receive varies depending on their combat status and financial deductibles made before and after their discharge.
Dr. Jeffery F. Johns, a former Air Force psychiatrist who now has a private practice in Oakland said that “the wait times are far too long for individuals to get the benefits they need.”
The G.I. Bill still allows many CSUEB students (91 last year) to receive opportunities that they might not otherwise have. Palisoc contends that the veteran students he has come in contact with are mostly content with the support they receive from the administration in academic matters and the student government for their social events.
These events include barbecues and their main dinner held annually on Veterans Day. The SVO also provides a support system for their members and allows upperclassman to mentor vets new to campus. Like all students, veterans often have trouble acclimating to academic life. They must learn to rub elbows with fellow students who can be naive about the issues that they face.
“Sometimes vets are misunderstood,” admits Palisoc.
CSUEB students have long had a connection with the military. Students can receive Army, Air Force, and Navy ROTC training through nearby U.C. Berkley which will allow them to receive scholarships. In fact, one-third of Berkley’s Golden Bear Battalion commute from our campus to receive Army ROTC training. The Hayward Veterans Memorial Building serves as a reminder that many local citizens as well as students have a military connection.
According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, there are more than 310,000 veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. CSUEB looks to continue to provide access to higher education for as many of them as possible.