Al Fresco Showcases Campus Unity

President Morishita reaches for a raffle ticket that awarded one lucky student a new personal computer.

The 23rd Annual Fall Welcome “Al Fresco” Festival displayed great energy and vigor, as the event meant to kick off the school year themed itself as a unifying event for both new and continuing members of the Cal State East Bay community.
This year’s Al Fresco featured over 100 organizations meant to attract and engage students in different activities on campus, with free food, music and services that made this years event worth their while.
According to Student Life and Leadership Programs Director Marguerite Hinrichs, Al Fresco is one of the best events students should take advantage of while at CSUEB because it is not only a great opportunity to have fun, rather one of the stepping stones to making the best of their college experience.
“It’s a great day, the weather’s beautiful, the students are lively, it’s just a perfect day for a grand welcoming,” said Hinrichs. “It’s a great place for students where they can be aware of resources that are available to them to enrich the new phase of their lives.”
“Our message today is welcome to CSUEB!” she said, “And above all else, go Pioneers!”
The 3-hour long event began with introductions by Associated Students Incorporated (ASI) Student Body President Christopher Prado and Interim University President Leroy Morishita, both enthusiastic in their welcoming and encouraging of events such as Al Fresco.
“This is the king of activity we want at CSUEB,” said Morishita. “Connecting with your fellow peers, administration and everyone else, it’s truly a great place to be. I’m really glad you’re all here.”
Many students expressed they were surprised to see Morishita attend Al Fresco this year, as they said they were also glad their president showed real interest in their college experience.
After presentations from CSUEB Athletics, CSUEB Cheer Squad and Eclectic Pulse dance squad, a sought after raffle, among a few others the DJ atop Agora Stage played music that had members of the several fraternities, sororities, dance groups and Hinrichs dancing to popular music on the lawn.
Many students said they felt this years event was much more exciting and enjoyable than years previous, saying they could feel the energy and see other students really enjoying themselves.
“Getting out there and having fun is what student life is all about,” said Jamel Leair Jackson, who partook in the dancing in front of the stage. “Students should take advantage of this event first and foremost because they are paying for this. Second, they should have fun and feel like they’re part of their school.”
What made this year different, many said, was the diversity of people, entertainment, and services present.
They felt the fact that more students participated and attended the event made it one of the most successful Al Fresco’s by far.
“I was impressed by how many people attended and how engaged students appeared,” said psychology major Michelle Stein. “I’m glad I came. I had fun, I met a lot of interesting people but in the end I felt welcomed.”