CSUEB Athlete Competes in Inline Skating Championships

The 2011 World Inline Speed Skating Championships held in South Korea last month welcomed CSU East Bay student Nastasia Hamor as a participant.
The CSUEB student, who is also a member of the Pioneer cross country and track team, flew out to Yeosu, South Korea to represent the United States in the four-wheel skating event.
After competing in the U.S. championships in July in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Hamor along with five other world-class women qualified for the world championships.
Team U.S.A. took fifth overall, competing amongst 41 countries.
“Although it was not my first time representing our country at the World Championships, I was very proud and excited to be given the opportunity to compete at such a high level once again,” said Hamor.
For Hamor, this was her eighth Outdoor National/World Team try-out and ninth indoor national championship, along with her fifth time competing over seas and her third time representing the U.S. at the World Championships (Junior World Team 2005, Senior World Team 2009, and Senior World Team in 2011).
At this year’s tournament, the speed skater competed in a 10,000m elimination track race, 20,000m elimination road race and a three-lady relay over a 5,000m course.
“Coaches and fellow athletes can describe their experiences at the World Championships as many times as they like, but until you experience racing with what seems like the whole world watching, for yourself, you will never know what it is truly like,” said Hamor.
The inline speed skater from Milpitas has been skating for 15 years and is a member and beginner coach of the Milpitas Speed team.
She is a junior and has been running for CSUEB cross country and track for two years and is currently in her third year of cross country season.
Hamor, along with the rest of the U.S. team, spent a total of two weeks in South Korea.
“I enjoyed Yeosu, Korea a lot,” said Hamor. “There were traditional marketplaces with seafood, desserts, knock-off purses, and cheap household items just a few blocks from nearly all American stores such as Adidas, Nike, Guess and more.
“The people were very nice and all were eager to practice their English with us,” continued Hamor. “The food was amazing and the scenery was nice; very green, near the ocean, modern architecture mixed with simple housing.”
Hamor looks to continue her international travel, as the 20-year-old will travel to Brazil this winter to visit family and practice with the Brazilian speed team from Rio de Janiero.
Although Hamor finds personal achievement through skating, she aspires to influence others through the sport that she loves.
“I started a roller skating club on campus called S.K.A.T.E. (Skating for Kids Achievement Through Exercise), which will hopefully get CSUEB more involved with the community,” said Hamor. “Skating is not just a sport I am involved with, it is my passion.”
The CSUEB student said she will continue to skate as long as her body lets her.
Accomplishing everything Hamor has up to this point, she sees no end in sight; for her, the future looks bright as she plans on competing in the 2012 World Championships, to be held in Italy.