Exhibit Brings to Life Actresses of Silver Screen

Photos of the influential women line the library walls.

Famous women of the silver screen liven up CSU East Bay’s library walls to showcase diversity and engage students around campus.

The “Women of the Silver Screen” exhibit displays women of diverse backgrounds who had some type of connection with the San Francisco Bay Area–either born here, married men who lived in the area, performed here or were honored by San Francisco film societies.

The purpose of the exhibit was to create a special enjoyment for students, faculty and staff, according to university librarian Linda Dobb.

“We like to create exhibits we hope will engage students and faculty so that they enjoy the library,” said Dobb. “It’s hoped that they will connect the exhibit to books or other materials they may wish to check out.”

Dobb said the exhibit began in early February and will end September 24.

A display at the entrance of the library announces the exhibit, encouraging visitors to find the large posters of the famous women on the walls and read their biographies.

“I haven’t seen the display,” said Darryl Jones, a Human Development major, “but because of what the exhibit is all about, I will go to the library to see it. Usually the kinds of women we are accustomed to seeing are not people of color but are those like Marilyn Monroe or Shirley Temple.”

One of the women highlighted are Anna Mae Wong, who performed in silent movie classics in old San Francisco and was the most famous Asian actress in America during the first half of the 20th century.

Dolores Del Rio, one of the first great Latino stars of the American cinema who was honored by the San Francisco Film Society is in this exhibit as well Dorothy Dandridge, the first African-American actress to be nominated for Best Actress by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Dobb said the idea for this exhibit came from Dick Apple, who has retired from CSUEB as a Coordinator of Special Collections and Archives.

“Dick has done a series of exhibits of this type over a period of time and I have had a long time love of film,” said Dobb. “Also, the library has an extensive collection of theater and movie biographies from which we could draw inspiration.”

Apple said he enjoyed working on Women of the Silver Screen, as well as other exhibits of the past.

“I love this project,” Apple said.  “It was right up my alley as I grew up in a theatre family. My father managed most of the Fox West Coast movie theatres in the East Bay during the 1950s and 1960s.”

He also said it’s a joy and a definite plus to work on this exhibit and introduce younger generations to some of the little-known women in film.

Dobb said she’s received positive feedback on the exhibit and requests for the posters once the exhibit has ended.

For the Fall Quarter, the University library will exhibit “Hidden Gems of CSU East Bay,” according to Dobb.

“So that new and returning students in the fall will appreciate the traditions of the CSUEB campus, Dick Apple and I came up with the ‘Hidden Gems of CSU East Bay’ exhibit, exploring the people behind our named buildings and streets, such as ‘Carlos Bee,’ or the identity of E. Guy Warren, and Alexander Meiklejohn,” Dobb said.

Dobb said in addition to the exhibit, there are student-created murals in the SCAA area and in the staircase area, a significant collection of art that’s been donated by Lanier Graham and one wall that’s devoted to the Emeritus Faculty of the University.

“It’s hoped that these are of interest to our students, staff and faculty because this is their University,” Dobb said.