Daisy Maxion: Advocate. Student. Idealist. President.

An effective leader not only needs the qualities that make them worthy of the title but they also need one key thing: a passion for what they believe in. A leader needs to actually practice what they preach in order to make a difference.
Daisy Maxion, California State University, East Bay’s current Associated Students Incorporated President, maintains the passion and drive that is necessary in order to achieve what she believes in. She is determined to make necessary changes at CSUEB in order to make our campus accepting and diverse to all students.
Maxion not only is our A.S.I. President, but she is also a member of the Pilipinx American Student Association, an organization on campus that dedicates much of its time to campus life and community service.
“PASA taught me how impactful and meaningful it is to contribute to a more equitable world,” said Maxion in an interview. “I learned that fighting for and standing up for the changes that need to be done to support marginalized communities is crucial.”
From the moment she received her position, Maxion dove right into the role and began to focus her attention on her many goals within the CSUEB Hayward campus. One of her current projects is providing support to undocumented and DACA students through a policy called Know Your Rights. The purpose of the Know Your Rights campaign is to spread awareness of the pro-bono legal services of immigration attorneys that will be held on campus to support DREAMers, undocumented students, and advocates.
Maxion voiced her frustration in the CSU system due to the lack of necessary help they are giving these students when asked about this policy.
“There is no type of sustainable support for our undocumented students on campus. The CSU system has currently implemented providing free immigration legal services on campus, but we do not have a permanent coordinator or point of contact to assist with these services,” Maxion said. This is something that ASI has noticed. The lack of initiative to support our undocumented and Dreamer students”.
While she is also fighting for students in the Dreamer program, Maxion is careful not to forget about the other students at CSUEB by offering helpful advice for those wishing to gain a full college experience and what to do in order to get further involved within CSUEB.
“My advice for future students that want to be involved is to really get to know the campus community,” Maxion said. “You’ll find that there are so many gems in this campus and so many chances to expand your perspective by getting to really know another student.”
Maxion also emphasized how serious she is taking this job and how she plans to uphold the position.
“To be in ASI isn’t just to hold some title, but the true opportunity to use the platform and amplify the voices of the students. It is to really actually putting in the work to advocate, instead of just saying it. A title means nothing if there isn’t integrity and purpose that is put into what you do”.