Children and Adults Alike Hunt for Treasure Eggs

The Egg-traordinary Dash, hosted by the First Year Experience Club at CSUEB, saw over 500 people in attendance, from 2-year-olds to middle-aged people. Some of the hidden eggs around the Hayward campus contained prizes, including a $500 gift card to the Pioneer Bookstore, or a voucher for an iPod Touch.

The First Year Experience Club (FYE) at CSU East Bay successfully executed its plans for The Egg-traordinary Dash this past Easter weekend.

During the spring quarter FYE president Monse Rueda partnered with the Residence Hall Association (RHA) to plan The Egg-traordinary Dash.

Advertisements for the event were delivered and distributed throughout the Hayward School District, from elementary schools to high schools.

Over 500 people showed up baskets in hand. Ages ranged from two years of age to middle aged adults.

Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed elementary school students were eager to pounce on the 8,000 eggs hidden throughout the CSUEB campus.

The number of participants not only overwhelmed FYE and RHA, but It also left many wondering if 8,000 eggs were enough to satisfy the Easter hunger.

“First Year Experience club is for freshmen and transfer students looking to feel plugged into this campus, both socially and academically,” said Rueda. “We work with the General Studies department, Peer Mentoring Services and Housing to provide support for first-years.”

FYE is striving to make a difference in the lives of first year students who are seeking the thrill of college life, the benefits of social networking and academic excellence.

“The purpose of FYE is to create events that bring first year students together.

The Easter egg hunt was open to everyone in the community and was promoted at local schools.

“Commuters and residents alike can have fun with the interactive events prepared for them to bond,” said FYE treasurer and Rueda’s roommate, Celene Alva.

“Monse’s doing a very good job, considering she has a 21-unit quarter load, and she manages to get things done in a timely manner, so I prize her for her leadership,” Alva said.

Looking forward, FYE will most likely receive new leadership at the start of the next academic year, but the memories taken from the experience are lasting.

“FYE has helped me take initiative to be more involved on campus,” said Rueda. “I have taken more leadership roles.”

Much like Rueda, Alva shares a similar viewpoint with regards to her time in FYE.

“It has helped me become better involved with the school, and I have a better understanding of how the system works; therefore, we can plan better events in the future,” Alva said.

The club is currently planning a carnival to take place before Springfest 2011. Details are yet to be released, but the event looks to garner success identical to their last event.