It’s Vegas, Baby

ASI Recreation brings the thrill of  Las Vegas to CSU East Bay students

ASI Recreation brought the “City of Lights” to CSU East Bay students last Thursday as they hosted the university’s first Vegas Night.

Students paid $5 at the door in exchange for $1,000 in chips to test their luck in casino style games such as Texas hold ’em, craps, blackjack, and roulette.

“We wanted to put Vegas in student’s backyards,” said Jennifer Reed, ASI Recreation assistant coordinator of special events. “Vegas is all about fun and the students deserve some fun in their lives.”
Students agreed that the event was a hit.

“Best idea yet,” said participant Johnny Volk. “This is one of the greatest turn outs I’ve seen at a CSUEB event.”

Over 70 CSUEB students attended the Vegas themed night, said Reed.

“It was a success because of the fact that the event actually felt like Vegas,” said Josh Rush, Vegas Night participant. “There was actually a competitive atmosphere, just like there would be in the entertainment capitol of the world.”

The event stayed true to the Vegas theme. Professional dealers were hired to work the event and they rotated from table to table, while Peer Advocates for Wellness Interns encouraged safe drinking by delivering mocktails to student players.

“College students need to learn how to drink responsibly and cautiously,” said Daniel Valencia, a PAW intern. “This is a great opportunity to promote safe drinking to students.”

To add to the fun of the evening, students who participated in the Vegas-themed night had the opportunity to win an Apple iPad and a 36-inch flat screen television in an end of the night raffle.

Each raffle ticket was equivalent to $100 in chips. The amount of chips participants had at the end of the night determined student’s chances for winning the two major prizes.

International student Wignang Zhu finished with the highest amount of chips at the conclusion of the evening, winning a total of $6,600 in chips.

Raffles were conducted throughout the evening for USB drives and all-access fitness passes to the Recreation and Wellness Center.

“The incentives to play were great,” said Natalie Montes, ASI Recreation employee. “Students actually took this event seriously.”

At the end of the night, students lined up to exchange their chips for raffle tickets, anxious to hear the names of the prizewinners.

Graduate student David Villalobos, who finished the evening with over $5,000 in chips, took home the Apple iPad.

“I’m elated and very surprised,” said Villalobos.

Dwight Querijero was the other lucky winner of the night, taking home the high-definition television. He said simply, “I feel lucky.”

ASI Recreation has plans to make Vegas Night an annual event.