South Hayward receives cleanup

2015 redesigned Pioneer logo.

Tam Duong Jr.

2015 redesigned Pioneer logo.

Charles Watkins,

The community service-driven ladies of the Epsilon Nu Citywide Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. organized an event for the South Hayward neighborhood covering Dixon St. and Valle Vista Park.

Delta was founded in 1913 on the campus of Howard University by 22 collegiate black women and has since grown to include 300,000 women worldwide. With the citywide chapter being chartered in 1964, Mills College in Oakland, Academy of Arts in San Francisco, as well as California State Universities at East Bay, Sonoma, and San Francisco have all become a part of the community service based chapter.

Members from CSU East Bay and San Francisco State invited helpful members of the community to come together in the streets of Hayward. As students from Hayward, Oakland, and San Francisco gathered on a bright October morning at South Hayward BART Station on Dixon St., the city received an enthusiastic cleanup after leaders from the organization recognized need for improvement in the “Heart of the Bay,” community.

Previously, the ladies of Epsilon Nu led a street cleanup in the Bayview District of San Francisco. After their most recent cleanup project, the ladies hope to have more gatherings in the future to help beautify areas in need around the Bay Area. The city of Hayward was not involved with the Epsilon Nu cleanup; the ladies have been utilizing personal funds without seeking outside funding.

“It feels great to be able to help my home away from home.” When asked about her experience during the event, a fourth-year student majoring in child and adolescent development at San Francisco State Dmitra-DeJahnae Lucas shared her perspective. “We should be able to do this at least once a month,” she added, “Hayward deserves a good clean up!”

In the future, the Epsilon Nu plan to host more community events in order to uplift and enlighten communities around the Bay Area. Here at CSUEB, they will be hosting study nights every quarter and will be giving away free school supplies and student essentials. In spring, the organization will hold an event entitled “Red Velvet Lounge,” where local poets, singers, rappers, and vendors will be on campus to spread positivity for those in need.