Women’s soccer loses third straight game

Marissa Marshall,
Staff Writer

The California State East Bay women’s soccer team lost two close games over the weekend culminating in a three game losing streak. The losses put the Pioneers record at 3-5 overall and 1-2 in California Collegiate Athletic Association Conference play.

Despite the losing streak and current record, the Pioneers have made notable progression thus far compared to last year. Just half way through the season CSUEB played 9 out 18 games so far and are just one win away from having the same amount of wins as last season when they went 4-11-3.

“We played very well together as a team this weekend and despite losing I think we have really grown together as a unit,” junior defender Savannah Schultz said.

On Friday, the women went on the road to take on the number one team in the CCAA Conference, Cal Poly Pomona, who have amassed an impressive record of 7-1-1 overall and  3-0-1 in conference.

East Bay showed resilience and their ability to compete in the game, especially on the defensive end with Schultz and freshman goalkeeper Ina Gonzalez leading the way. Gonzalez had 2 saves in the game.

“As a freshman I don’t have experience playing against college teams,” Gonzalez said. “Nor am I aware of the quality of skill each team has. So every game I go in with the mindset that my team is depending on me and I have to play my heart out to not let them down.”

Both teams totaled for 12 shots combined in the game, the Pioneers with 4 and the Broncos with 8, each with 3 shots on goal.

The game was tied at zero throughout the first half, all the way until the halfway mark of the second half.

In the 63rd minute, Bronco’s freshman midfielder Alison Hung scored off a corner kick by senior forward, Daisy Duran which put Cal Poly up 1-0.

That one goal would be the deciding factor for the game, as neither team scored again, handing the Pioneers their second straight loss.

“We really just need to finish the opportunities we have in the attacking third to avoid 1-0 losses like this,” Schultz said. “We defended well as a team, very well. Our intensity was good, but we have to work on those little things so this doesn’t happen to us, because we were clearly in the game.”

Freshman midfielder Lauren McDougal had 2 shots for the pioneers, 1 of which was a shot on goal.

On Sunday, the Pioneers competed against another tough opponent, California State San Bernardino who are 5-3-1 overall and 3-1 in conference games. San Bernardino is also  ranked 3rd in the CCAA.

It was a back and forth game with both teams struggling on offense that led to the first half ending with the scored tied at zero.

Ten minutes into the second half, San Bernardino’s senior midfielder Rachael Figg scored after she rebounded her blocked shot by East Bay’s goalkeeper, Gonzalez, then turned and fired a goal past her to put the Coyotes up 1-0.

East Bay was able to come back with an answer when Schultz scored on a header in the 80th minute, after a cross pass from sophomore defender Allison Smith; tying the game 1-1.

“I am always up in the box and I found my opportunity today to put the ball in the back of the net,” Schultz said. “It felt good to get a goal.”

The score remained tied at 1-1 for the rest of regulation and eventually went into overtime.

Just past the 98 minute mark, Gonzalez made a big save. The Pioneers were unable to clear the ball and San Bernardino’s sophomore midfielder Cassandra Bermudez followed it up with a laser and her first goal of the season giving the Coyotes the 2-1 win.

Despite the two losses the Pioneers showed their ability to compete with the best teams in the conference.

“We played well defensively,” Gonzalez said. “But for me, I need to have more confidence in the net and direct my team. That translates and makes us even more solid in our defensive end.”

East Bay and San Bernardino each had 13 shots, 6 of which were on goal for the Pioneers and 4 on goal for the Coyotes.

Next up for the Pioneers is a road game at San Francisco State at 3 p.m. on Friday, who are 5-2-1 overall and 0-1-1 in conference.