Job fair scheduled for Hayward campus

Job fair scheduled for Hayward campus

Kali Persall,
Managing Editor

With Halloween just around the corner, October is traditionally devoted to costume shopping, but on Oct. 27, hundreds of Cal State East Bay students will collectively dress up with a different goal in mind: to land a job.

Fifty seven businesses will be taking resumes and speaking to students about job positions at East Bay’s annual fall career and internship fair this year. The businesses will cater to undergraduate and graduate students of all majors, said Toni Brown, Event Coordinator in the Academic Advising & Career Education department.

The list of vendors won’t include technology giants like Google or Facebook, which hold their own job fairs, but instead will feature small local start-ups and government agencies like the Employment Development Division, the California Department of Insurance, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, according to Brown.

AACE coordinates the job fair during the fall, winter and spring quarters every year. The purpose is to connect students face-to-face with employers in the Bay Area.

“We want to get our students out there in front of companies all over the Bay Area,” said Brown.“You have to do a lot of networking.”

Brown said the job fair has grown over the past four years that she’s worked at East Bay. At her first winter career fair, only 27 employers attended. Last year, it reached maximum capacity at 57.

Many companies are willing to speak with students of all majors, regardless of whether they correspond to a specific job or position, said Brown, who cited Target and Ross as examples. At first glance, one expects the stores to be hiring primarily for retail positions, however not many are aware that Target has an information technology department and Ross a fraud prevention department. “It teaches them what’s out there and to think outside your major,” said Brown.

AACE also hosts workshops to help students prepare for career fairs by teaching them specific skills that can be used when applying for jobs. Brown said this includes teaching students to write two resumes: one that can be used generically and another that’s geared toward the position being applied for. They also teach students how to work on their elevator speech and how to dress and present themselves during a job interview.

For example, “you shouldn’t show up in Uggs or pajamas,” said Brown. “Believe me, that happens.” A career prep workshop will be held next Tuesday.

The event is free to students but vendors pay a small fee to table at East Bay, according to Brown.

Nonprofit organizations pay $325, for-profit businesses $525, government agencies $450 and staffing agencies $625.

Last year over 700 students attended the fall job fair. Brown predicts the turn-out will be comparable this year.

The job fair will take place in the Multipurpose Room in the New University Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.