Soccer gets new coach

Photo Courtesy of EastBayPioneers.com

Photo Courtesy of EastBayPioneers.com

Marissa Marshall,
Staff Writer

The California State East Bay men’s soccer team got a new head coach in Michael Bielski.

The Pioneers parted ways with former head coach Andy Cumbo in April, when he received an offer for a full-time teaching and head coaching position at Las Positas College in Livermore. Cumbo coached the men’s team for seven years, and after three months of searching by CSUEB Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Joan McDermott, they found their man.

Bielski comes to East Bay from Colorado, where he coached at Otero Junior College in La Junta.

According to eastbaypioneers.com, McDermott said she believes Bielski is “Well-equipped to grow our men’s soccer program into a consistent contender at the Division II level.”

The new coach brings a winning history to the CSUEB program. His previous record with Otero is impressive at 72-25-5 that includes two National Junior College Championships. He also has a lot of experience himself having played professionally for several leagues throughout California.

The returning players on the team got the chance to meet Bielski in the beginning of June before he was hired.

Bielski explained how he “Spent an hour with the team and introduce myself and let the guys ask me any questions.”

One of the Pioneers defenders, incoming senior Steffan Sauer had great things to stay about his new coach.

“I feel very good about our new coach,” said Sauer.“He seems to be a coach who communicates a lot, which is something I value a lot. I did not expect to have a new coach for my senior year and it was difficult to accept at first, but I am open minded and am ready for the changes. He is a good fit for us.”

Although his first time as a head in the  California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Bielski, used to be an assistant coach for another team in the CCAA, the California State Monterey Bay Otters for six years. He is not new to the conference.

“It is a privilege to be able to come back home as I am from the East Bay and coach at such a competitive level,” said Bielski.

East Bay’s overall record was 5-12 last year and Bielski is looking to change the atmosphere around the men’s squad.

“We want a successful season and I believe once we get used to each other, him and work hard, we can have just that,” said Sauer.

• Soccer gets new coach

Metro

Suspect arrested in Nia Wilson slaying

• Soccer gets new coach

Features

Cannabis is now for pets

• Soccer gets new coach

Artist paints dolls on Bay Area Walls

• Soccer gets new coach

Tradition nonexistent in my college experience

• Soccer gets new coach

California Roots throws party over Memorial Day weekend

• Soccer gets new coach

Students create their own shows

• Soccer gets new coach

Multicultural sorority established on CSUEB Hayward campus

• Soccer gets new coach

Black people need gangster rap music

• Soccer gets new coach

Bay Area Mural Festival takes over Oakland

• Soccer gets new coach

Sports

Women’s water polo season wraps up

Soccer gets new coach