Pregnant in college: Blessing or curse?

Illustration by Brittany England/The Pioneer

Veronica Sanchez,

While pregnancy happens every day, being pregnant while attending school as a college senior feels so taboo. I constantly get judgmental looks from my peers and everyone always wants to know if this pregnancy was planned.

Recently, I stopped at the Student Union at Cal State East Bay to get something to eat, when two women approached me and asked,“Are you really pregnant?” I responded yes. They looked at each other, started laughing and walked away.

This wasn’t what I was expecting at all. I figured they would say something positive like “how exciting” or “do you know the gender of the baby yet,” but I was wrong. I was completely shocked. I immediately left the food court, ran to the bathroom and started to cry. Six months ago, I was overlooked as just your average girl, but now as a pregnant senior in college, these are the type of experiences I deal with.

I am 24, not 18. I am a senior in college, not a freshman. I am delighted about my pregnancy, which was planned in every way, shape and form. I’ve been in a loving and committed relationship with the baby’s father for five years and engaged for three.

Believe me, I get it. I understand why most people react negatively. Society has attached a negative connotation to pregnant students and statistics show that mothers are more likely to drop out of college.

The National Campaign to prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy estimates that 61 percent of women who have children after enrolling in community college end up dropping out, which is 65 percent higher than the rate for women who don’t have children.

Outside of school, people typically think of pregnancy as this beautiful and miraculous blessing. The news of pregnancy is filled with so many thrilling emotions, but when you put pregnancy and school together, it’s not looked at as a lifelong blessing, but instead a lifelong burden.

Being pregnant in college is my choice, but I still face challenges. On any given day, I’m carrying an extra 15 pounds up the stairs and out of breath walking to class. I have to rearrange my schedule around homework, school and work so I can attend doctor’s appointments and face every other pregnancy symptom: morning sickness day and night, severe back pains and finding clothes and shoes to fit since my figure changed and my feet have a mind of their own.

But this is the choice I made.

When I received the news that I was pregnant, it was far from a burden or inconvenience. It was the biggest blessing I have ever received. It brought so many positive feelings and emotions. It filled me with excitement and most importantly, a new profound love.

I can confidently walk to class and be fine with the judgmental stares and different looks I receive from people on campus. I’m determined and prepared to get through school and graduate, all while being pregnant. I realized, this is one small chapter in my life that I needed to experience and overcome in order to prepare me for my future and enjoy what’s to come. I am a pregnant full time student and yes, I am determined to beat all of the odds stacked against me.