Find the hidden gems of Hayward Campus

Alfonso Galindo,

Whether you are a commuter student or live on campus, Cal State East Bay has hidden nooks and crannies that make your experience on campus extend beyond just attending classes. From the jaw dropping views to buildings students don’t visit or know about, there are adventures on campus even if you think the campus’ perch on a towering hill seems like a bad location.

Incredible View

The view at CSUEB are incredible because we are on a hill that sits above Hayward. There are several spots to enjoy them on campus. One spot that is hidden: a plot of grass near the tennis courts. It’s a bit tricky to get there but it is to the right of the overflow gravel parking lot on Harder Road. The view includes all of Hayward, the skyscrapers in downtown Oakland, the San Mateo Bridge and the Union City area. The best time to go is during sunset leading into the night so you can view the pink sky and watch stars light up the night.

“Africa Trail”

Say you’re in the mood to go on a late night adventure or a nice afternoon hike, where do you go? There is a hiking trail just behind the dorms parking lot; the students call this location “Africa” because it’s so far away. It is not paved so take some athletic shoes that are worn down. The trail begins just to the right at the end of the parking lot. It leads you downhill and takes about two hours to hike. Along the way you will cross over a creek that is dried out due to the drought, and you’ll find an old rusted car. You may also see wildlife like deer and turkeys. It is a somewhat easy hike so you won’t be too worn out after it’s over.

Music Spot

The music building is another spot that is an adventure. It is easy to get lost inside but it is worth it. Get lost inside on both floors and enjoy the sound of students playing their instruments freely. Whether they leave their door wide open or shut it completely, you can hear the liberal instruments such as pianos, guitars, or violins. During midterms and finals I go in there and I leave everything behind. I walk through and listen to students jamming out on their instruments; it calms my nerves and gives me that break I need.

The Cave

Now, if you need a place to study late at night after the library closes, there is the cave. The cave is always open. It’s located on the first floor basement between the science buildings, with a neon sign that says “The Cave” at the top of the doorframe. To the right of the main door are vending machines, microwaves and tables for students who need to eat or study. But take some dollars and change because hot Cheetos and sodas are $1.50. It is so welcoming that you may find a homeless man sleeping on one of the sofas. So say you want to study on a Sunday when the library is closed or need to meet with a group on campus late night, the cave is perfect. Be aware during midterms and finals it gets busy and it is first come first serve so claim your spot and stay there as late as you need, unless the homeless man bothers you too much.

Fresh Air

Another great spot is the outdoor amphitheater, which is right next to the theatre. The underappreciated stage does not host many events but it is a great place for skateboarders to practice in front of an imaginary crowd. I’ve seen students gather there for dance practice as well. There is a grassy area right in front of the stage that makes a good spot for picnics. It is a beautiful amphitheater but the school does not utilize it or take advantage of it so students should. I know I do since I’m helping maintain it with my tuition.

So get off your butt, whether you are a freshman or a 35-year-old senior and get lost in the music building, or have a picnic in the amphitheater and try to find your best view on campus.