Hayward campus on high alert after shooting threat

PHOTO BY TAM DUONG JR./THEPIONEER

Jeff Bliss, Executive Director of University Communications for Cal State East Bay discusses the shooting threat in an interview with KRON 4 News

Kris Stewart,
Online and Social Media Editor

Alerts went out through email and phone to students, staff and faculty around 6:55pm Friday evening regarding a threat of a possible shooting on campus, Saturday, April 11.

Jeff Bliss, Executive Director of University Communications for Cal State East Bay, said that a student was jogging in the track area on campus and overheard strangers mention that they’re going to get a gun and bring it to campus on Saturday.

After the initial notification, rumors began spreading throughout social media regarding possible targets for the threat including a Facebook post suggesting that the threat was made against Alpha Phi’s 3rd Annual Red Dress Gala tomorrow evening.

The event was set to take place in the New University Union on campus from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. Due to safety concerns caused by this threat, this event is now cancelled.

Saturday morning at approximately 10:30am Cal State East Bay issued a follow up email stating,

At this time we have canceled the event that appears to be the target of the unsubstantiated rumor reported last night.The police are continuing to investigate and will maintain heightened presence on the Hayward campus, which remains open.  Report any suspicious activity to University Police at (510) 885-3791 or in an emergency dial 911.

“I’m very heartbroken this had to happen, but it is for our best,” said a member of Alpha Phi.

Bliss says that this is the first time the university has had this type of an alert go out. Emails, phone calls, social media alerts and text messages were sent to students, staff and faculty regarding the threat.

Since the alerts, Bliss has been bombarded with emails and phone calls asking why the university would send out a series of alerts for what seemed like a low threat situation.

“Out of an abundance of caution. We all know the history out there. We know the story. It’s better to be safe than sorry,” said Bliss. He continued to say that he wanted to give the students and community all the information he could so that people can make the best decision for their safety.

According to Bliss, the university is working closely with various law enforcement in the area and will be increasing police presence on campus.

In regards to whether or not to be on campus tomorrow, Bliss says that decision “ultimately resides with the individual.”

If you have any information regarding this threat, please contact UPD at (510) 885-3791 and if it’s an emergency dial 911.