Womens water polo loses two on the road

CSUEB+junior+Casey+Rushforth+chases+down+a+loose+ball+last+month+in+a+home+match+at+Pioneer+Pool+on+the+Hayward+campus+in+a+13-6+victory+over+Cal+Lutheran+University+on+Feb.+14.+

TAM DUONG JR./THE PIONEER

CSUEB junior Casey Rushforth chases down a loose ball last month in a home match at Pioneer Pool on the Hayward campus in a 13-6 victory over Cal Lutheran University on Feb. 14.

Sports and Campus Editor

The Cal State East Bay women’s water polo team lost two games on Saturday: 12-7 to the host Santa Clara Broncos and to the No. 11 nationally ranked Indiana University 16-0 in Santa Clara.

CSUEB is now 3-8 overall while the Broncos improved to 7-4 overall and the Hoosiers 6-6 overall after they both defeated the Pioneers. Indiana freshman Kelly Matthews scored a game-high four goals in the victory for the Hoosiers.

“It is always good to get some quality road experience,” Indiana Head Coach Barry King said. “This will pay off for us.”

The Pioneers rebounded on Saturday after the loss to Indiana against the Broncos but still fell to the host team by a final of 12-7.

“I feel our offense is very well-rounded and has a lot of people who can shoot,” CSUEB Head Coach Lisa Cooper said. “I am confident we will step up as a team and have a lot of different people scoring. It is great to have a lot of offensive threats on this year’s squad.”

CSUEB junior Taylor Cross and sophomore Shelbie Higginson both scored two goals against Santa Clara on Saturday in the loss for the Pioneers. It was a homecoming of sorts for Higginson who is a Santa Clara native and played for Santa Clara High School.

Juniors Simonne Call and Jenn Lightbody both scored a goal despite losing to Santa Clara. Bronco’s junior and Pleasanton native Elle Surber scored a game-high four goals in the victory over CSUEB. Santa Clara juniors Julia Peters and Elizabeth Anderson both scored three goals in the win.

Next up for the Pioneers is a trip to Thousand Oaks and the Samuelson Aquatic Center for the Tina Finali Invitational Feb. 28 to Mar. 1.

Pomona Pitzer, Azusa Pacific, Occidental, and Chapman will also participate in the invitational this weekend.

CSUEB will be looking to rebound and get back on track like last season when they finished 17-14 overall and lost in the conference championship to UC San Diego by a final of 16-3.