Photo | Cherie Randolph

Attendees pose for a photo at last year’s Veterans Day celebration at the CSUEB Hayward campus.

Veteran Student Services look to expand

January 15, 2015

Academic Access, Enhancement and Excellence, or A2E2 funding and results of Planning for Distinction fostered creation of vision for comprehensive student support services for veteran students at California State University, East Bay on the Hayward and Concord campuses.

Veteran Student Services is an on campus program that was established in July of 2014 with the goal of providing comprehensive student support services to veterans and ultimately creating a veteran student center.

“Many veteran students are first generation college students, which makes their transition from military for university life more challenging. A holistic approach to student support services received from qualified professionals is crucial for veteran students academic, career and personal success,” said Teresa Golebiewska, EXCEL Program Director.

Although not all veteran students use VA benefits, there are between 220 and 250 student veterans on campus.

VSS currently provides academic counseling, benefits, processing, educational planning, graduate school advising, scholarship guidance academic workshops, time management tips, student veterans organizations faculty/staff vet friendly training, and campus events including welcome receptions, graduation celebrations, and Veteran’s Day celebrations.

Peer mentorship program and Welcoming Warriors Home will be offered beginning in the spring of this year.

“The veterans peer mentorship program is designed to assist incoming veteran students with their transition into the university by providing peer support from fellow veterans,” said Cherie Randolph, Veterans Retention Coordinator of VSS.

The peer mentors are currently going through training.

After the training, the mentors will ideally be equipped to answer questions regarding campus resources, veteran’s benefits and/or advocate for veterans in and out of the classroom, as well as reach out to local community colleges to create a pipeline for incoming veterans, according to Randolph.

“The Welcome Warriors Home project is a seven week workshop series that is designed on transitioning into civilian life, post-deployment, building healthy relationships, acclimating to the classroom, and functioning in society,” said Randolph.

VSS is currently involved with Veterans of Foreign War, Beta Mu Sigma Fraternity, Economic Opportunity Council, Concord Vet Center, Antioch Community Center, VA Work Study, and other community organizations.

The Pioneer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in