Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity Gives Back to Community

The Latin fraternity Lambda Theta Phi executed their third toy giveaway last week on campus. More than 80 parents and children participated in the event, which was fashioned after the story of the Three Wise Men.

Chivalry above self.

The Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity put their respective motto to demonstration in their annual “Tres Reyes Magos Toy Giveaway.”

The event was held on Jan. 6 in the lower level of the Student Union, where more than 80 parents and children were treated to a reenactment of the history of the Latino holiday and were given gifts donated by various groups and people at CSUEB and throughout the city of Hayward.

Children from all over the bay, including from La Familia Family Resource Center and an after-school program in Oakland, took part in this event, receiving more than 100 gifts collected from the fraternity.

“It was a wonderful experience for myself and my 6-year-old daughter,” said Yanira Ledezma, mother and CSUEB alumni. “It’s a great event because it reconnects us to our origins and our culture. “It’s really good to teach our younger kids where they come from and what kind of traditions our parents and grandparents have.”

On Jan. 6, most of the Hispanic world celebrates “El dia de los tres reyes magos,” or in English, the day of the three wise men. It is on this day where the biblical story of the three wise men is remembered and where gifts are distributed within families.

The Lambdas used this holiday to give back to their community and to empower the Latino family.

Frequent donor Dr. Robert Lara, who has contributed a great amount of money and time to the fraternity, believes events such as these are worthwhile and inclusive.

“It brings the children and the community up here on the campus to experience campus life,” said Lara. “The members of the fraternity encourage them to think about college in the future.”

With the help of Dr. Lara, funding from the university Diversity Center, and donations from friends and family of the Lambda Theta Phi fraternity, children from the ages of 3-12 went home with presents and a better understanding of an important day in Latino culture.

Founding brother of the Lambdas Jorge Garcia recalls all the hard work put in by the members of the fraternity and what went into making this a special night.

“In the end, all the running around, buying presents, wrapping gifts until midnight, building the sets and rehearsing the plays—none of that stress mattered when I saw the faces of those kids opening their presents,” said Garcia. “It made it all worth it, and I can’t wait to do it again next year.”

The Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity was founded in 1975 at Kean College. Although this is only the fraternity’s second year at CSUEB, the young men of this organization have already done a great amount of charitable work throughout the Bay Area and will continue to empower the Latino community.