ASI Excited For New Quarter

Fresh from their winter retreat, the Associated Students, Inc. board is eager to get the new quarter underway and jumpstart their upcoming events.

“Now that we’ve had a quarter to work together,” said Chris Caldwell, Director of the Concord Campus for ASI, “we’re working closer together to start new committees and run programs.”

ASI will have alternating bi-monthly meetings, which are open to the public, in order to ensure the highest attendance. Their first meeting will be this Friday, Jan. 14, at 1 p.m. The next meeting will be in two weeks on a Thursday at 8 a.m.

Though Winter Quarter is typically a slow quarter, ASI is excited about the upcoming events, with arguably the biggest being Bayfest.

Bayfest will be on Friday, Jan. 21 with Mistah F.A.B. headlining and two members of The Pack—the rap group behind the hit “Riding In My Car”—will also make an appearance.

Admission to this event will be free for CSU East Bay students and will be inside the Multi-purpose room of the New Union at 9 p.m., out of the cold.

In addition to Bayfest, ASI will also be sponsoring Pioneer Bhangra, a dance event at Chabot College showcasing Indian culture.

Of course, ASI will continue to entertain the campus community on Wednesdays, with a new band every week during Live at Noon.

Executive Vice President and Chief of Staff Rafae Khan feels that the upcoming ASI board election is “very important” and is a priority.

The elections for a new board, which will take place in Spring Quarter, is a big part of the boards agenda. An election committee will be formed during this quarter.

Applications for the elections committee, a group of students that oversees the election process, are currently being accepted in the ASI office on the third floor of the Old Union.
Of course, Caldwell is also excited about the expansion of ASI and ASI Recreation with the opening of the new Recreation and Wellness Center.
“I’m excited to be able to use the RAW,” said Caldwell. “It’s exciting to have it finally be open.”