Cross-country season comes to an end

November 13, 2014

The California Collegiate Athletic Association men’s and women’s cross-country championships were held on Saturday in San Bernardino at Glen Helen Regional Park with a disappointing meet for both Cal State East Bay teams, despite some impressive individual performances.

The women’s team did not place in the 6k race due to two runners not finishing, but junior Imani Heath managed to finish 13th in the field with a final time of 22:59.4. Heath was named to the All-Conference first team, which goes to the top 15 runners in the championship race.

Heath closed out her junior season with the top time for CSUEB in all five of its contests in the 2014 season. This is the second season in a row the Pioneers have had an All-Conference first team member after sophomore Sarah Perrin finished ninth at the 2013 championships, also being named Freshman of the Year. Cross Country pic 1

Three more CSUEB women placed in the championship. The next was Celina Vera claiming 60th place with a final time of 24:43.2. Camille Hansen finished in 68th place with a final time of 24:57.4 and senior Iris Martinez closed out her CSUEB career placing 85th with a final time of 26:41.2.

Powerhouse Chico State secured its seventh women’s cross-country championship in a row with a final time of 1:54:31.10 and an average time of 22:54.22.

The Pioneer men finished in eighth place with a total of 258 points, a total time of 2:27:42.50 and an average time of 29:32.50.

Senior Will Weekes continued to lead the way for CSUEB nabbing the top finish for the fifth time this season. Weekes finished the 8k race in 56th place with a final time of 27:48. Senior Daniel Damian closed out his CSUEB career with a final time of 29:11.3 for a 64th place finish.

Freshmen Adam Gardere finished 65th and Latee Pigee 66th right behind his Pioneer teammate. Another freshman David Cabalerro-Hernandez finished in 69th place and sophomore Irvin Parada rounded out the field in 71st with a final time of 33:07.2.

The Pioneer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in