San Leandro principal resigns mid school year

Tiffany Jones,
Managing Editor

As of Sept. 24, Jonathan Ferrer, principal of Bancroft Middle School in San Leandro, has resigned from his duties, taking effect Sept. 30 amidst to an ongoing personnel investigation, which at this point is not criminal.

In a parent-teacher association meeting held last Wednesday at Bancroft Middle School, San Leandro Unified School District Superintendent Mike McLaughlin addressed parents, staff, and some students, in regards to the resignation of Ferrer.

“I can tell you, right now, it is not a criminal matter, we don’t know yet,” said McLaughlin, also saying that details of the investigation could not be released at this time.

The school district will begin a search for a new principal in the spring. Until then, Valentin Del Rio, vice principal to Ferrer, will serve as interim principle.

Additionally, for the next five days, a search is currently being conducted by SLUSD within the school for an interim vice principal.

In the spring, McLaughlin emphasizes that staff, students, and parents will be involved in the hiring process of the new principal through surveys, and meetings throughout the process.

A letter was sent out to parents Sept. 25 informing parents and students of Ferrer’s resignation.

The letter stated, “Mr. Ferrer was a tremendous leader for the Bancroft Middle School and as a leader in the San Leandro Unified School District. Because of our respect for Mr. Ferrer’s work at the Bancroft Middle School, we respect his decision.”

“I didn’t get a letter, I actually found out from another parent. I also got a [automated] phone call [from the district] a few days ago,” said Jonnette Zane, parent at Bancroft.

Many parents expressed their dismay with how things were being handled, as well as showed concern at the PTA meeting with the direction the school would now be headed.

“We don’t understand. We felt harsh and devastated. I don’t like the way he did it,” said Kati Krause, parent at Bancroft. “After the way he left, I don’t want him to come back.”

“That’s really the biggest [concern], I didn’t feel like my son was going to be safe here, until I met Mr. Ferrer. All you want in your kids school is safety, education, love and community,” said Zane.

“I know it doesn’t sound fair, and it doesn’t sound right, but this is the way it is to protect all parties,” said McLaughlin.

Many parents during the meeting expressed their disappointment and frustration about the events that occurred, and said that many of the students feel as though they need closure regarding Ferrer.

Extra counselors are available in the school to help students and staff members through the process by giving them someone to talk to.

Meanwhile, Tricia Marshall, parent at Bancroft comments that students will be making a video to say goodbye to Ferrer.

“People have rights, and we must follow the procedures,” said McLaughlin. “We have worked too hard and come this far, and we are going to be okay here at Bancroft.”