Are you choosing the right major?

Karlee Yong,

I was always raised to believe that if you’re not pursuing to be a doctor or a lawyer, then you’re pretty much wasting time and money in college[/pullquote]Many new and current California State University, East Bay students will be deciding on what majors to pursue for the new school year; however, that choice may be difficult due to financial and family pressures. Here are a few things to keep in mind to avoid choosing a major that may make you miserable in the long run.

I was always raised to believe that if you’re not pursuing to be a doctor or a lawyer, then you’re pretty much wasting time and money in college

— Arveen Kumar

Try not to choose a major because someone else, i.e. a friend or family member, told you to. Students are constantly bombarded with outside opinions about what they should major in and what their career should be, but the fact of the matter is, you have the last say about your own choices in college.

Sure, some family members might bust your chops or disagree with your choices but one can always take their opinions as constructive criticism or motivation to turn passion into success. Think about it, college is the place to experiment and find yourself, so how can you really get the most out of your college experience if you’re being controlled by anyone other than yourself?

“I was always raised to believe that if you’re not pursuing to be a doctor or a lawyer, then you’re pretty much wasting time and money in college,” said sophomore Armando Castillo.

Think about choosing a major that captures your attention or really interests you. This way, what you study may act as a strong motivator to not only pass your required classes but to also retain the information learned. Let’s be honest, we are all guilty of passing classes and then forgetting what we learned right after finals. Plus, it won’t hurt to pursue a passion that makes you happy. After all, isn’t happiness the real key to success?

“As a business major, I was not doing so well but I stayed with it because it’s what my parents thought fit me best,” said Arveen Kumar, a senior. “After retaking Accounting for the fourth time, I finally had enough and decided to change my major to what really interested and motivated me, which was sociology.”

Finally, remember that what you may choose may not always have the exact outcome that you expect. Students should realize that they are going to school not only to have bright futures but also to improve their own lives. College is the place to experiment and find yourself.

Ryan Macasero, an alumnus, said he found himself working in an entirely different field from what he originally started out studying by the time he graduated.

“I argued with my parents all the time because I was a music major, I ended up changing my major to political science and after I graduated, I became a journalist in the Philippines,” said Macasero. “It just goes to show, that no matter how you plan your future, anything can really happen when you’re in college.”

There will always be that pressure on many students to work hard to succeed, but keep in mind that success may not mean much if you are not happy.