Track and field hires record setting assistant coach

Photo | Chris Valentine

Head Coach Ralph Jones believes Andrew Murphy is the boost this track team will need to be successful.

Tejasvi Baluvuri,
Sports Reporter

The track program no longer has a missing link as Coach Andrew Murphy joins the track and field staff at California State University, East Bay for the 2014-15 season. Murphy plans to bring his experience and championship-winning attitude to the program.

Coach Murphy has developed a habit of breaking and setting new records at many of the schools he has coached for.

He had a three-year stint at Meade Senior High School in Fort Meade, Md. During this term, the Mustangs captured three outdoor and two indoor state titles. In 2007, Meade High School was recognized as a top 20 track and field program by dyestat.com. He guided over 40 athletes to Maryland State Championship appearances including 12 individual titles and nine school records.

Murphy, a College Park, native, returned to Howard University after three successful years at Meade Senior High School. At Howard University, he helped the Bison to consecutive top three cross-country finishes. Under Murphy’s guidance 17 athletes were selected to the All-Mid Eastern Athletic Conference team.

Preceding his arrival at CSUEB, he worked as an assistant coach at Morgan State University, where he was part of the coaching staff that was successful in leading the Lady Bears to finish second overall at the MEAC Cross-Country Championship, a first in their program history.

The success of the programs last year, specifically Sarah Perrin’s Freshman of the Year recognition, and Lauren McGlory’s All-American award and conference title in the triple jump, has rejuvenated this track program.

“We are going to work as a team and reach the goals for the upcoming season,” said Murphy.

Murphy will bring specialized knowledge to athletes competing in hurdles, relays, and sprints. He has certifications in endurance, USATF Level I and USATF Level II events.

Summer training for the student athletes of CSUEB is underway and the coaching staff looks forward to a promising year ahead. Murphy said, “Our team is young and moving in the right direction.”

Ralph Jones, CSUEB head coach of cross-country and track and field said, “Coach Murphy will add his passion and knowledge of the sport as well as a recruiting reputation to attract high quality student athletes to the program.”

“I haven’t had an assistant with his wealth of experience and knowledge for the sport since Coach Ron Davis in my first year,” Jones said.

“The other areas which I believe makes Coach Murphy more unique and versatile than any of my past assistance is his knowledge and experience in meet management, fundraising, administration, and academic advising which are jobs behind the scene that are rarely noticed, but are vital to the success of any program,” Jones added.

Murphy brings with him tactical track skills, but he will also teach his athletes the importance of versatility and the assets needed to be a championship caliber program. It seems Murphy has joined this program with great timing as the team works on rebuilding.

“I look forward to a long and successful relationship with Andrew on my staff” said Jones.