Swim lessons offered for faculty and staff

Photo | Chris Valentine

Swim lessons for beginning and intermediate swimmers began July 1st on the Hayward campus.

Tiffany Jones,
Campus & Managing Editor

On July 1, the Leadership and Employment Enrichment Program and the Athletics department at California State University, Easy Bay began offering swim lessons for faculty and staff.

Bethany Hobbs-Helmus, swimmer, coach and water polo player of eight years, and the Internal Operations Coordinator for athletics at the university will be teaching the lessons. Helmus was also a part of the 2008 CSUEB water polo championship team.

Classes are provided to give participants a foundation of the basic knowledge of swimming, as well as practice and exercise.

These swim lessons will be offered twice a week through the month of July. For beginner swimmers, lessons are held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-1:30 p.m.  Intermediate lessons will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30-1 p.m., and lessons for all levels will be held Wednesdays and Fridays from 4-4:45 p.m.

“In general, basic swimming and water survival skills will be taught in the beginning class, and stroke technique refinement and more advanced skills and strokes will be taught in the intermediate class,” said Helmus.

The cost for beginning and intermediate classes is $20 for the month at $2.50 per class, and $30 for the month for the lessons available to all levels. Lessons will be held at the CSU East Bay Pool located on the Hayward campus.

“About ten people drown every day in the U.S., and eight of those are adults and young adults. Basic swimming skills are essential for water survival, especially since we live in an area with so much water,” said Helmus. Yesterday, on the first day of classes, 29 people were signed up according to Helmus.

To register, visit TR 902, the Athletics trailer behind Music and Business, or register with Bethany Hobbs-Helmus at [email protected]. Payment is due by the first class. Cash or check only. Checks must be made payable to Cal State East Bay.