New talent recruited for men’s basketball team

Alex+Manu+of+the+San+Mateo+High+School+drives+by+his+defender.+

Photo | Steve Connolly

Alex Manu of the San Mateo High School drives by his defender.

Tejasvi Baluvuri,

California State University, East Bay will be gaining new players for its men’s basketball team in the upcoming fall season. The men’s program has awarded full ride scholarships to some unique players.

This offseason has new resources in store for CSUEB. The men’s basketball program is undergoing a rebuilding process as five members of their squad have graduated from the 2013-2014 squad.

East Bay has two very talented high school players from the Bay Area, and some experienced players transferring from multiple junior colleges. They will have a rejuvenated squad with the inclusion of many new players on the team. This incoming talent has the potential to bring more success to CSUEB, after they finished with a weak 7-21 record last season.

High school athletes Alex Manu of San Mateo and Jordan Balser of Colfax, a city north of Sacramento, will play for the CSUEB men’s basketball team.
Jordan Balser had a great run in high school as the leading scorer for his school in the 2013-2014 season. At 6’3” he is very athletic with exceptional skills to compliment his size.

Coach Gus Argenal shared his thoughts about Balser’s play in an interview with the CSUEB Athletics department. “He brings versatility at the guard spot, and that is a perfect fit for our transition play and pressure defense,” said Argenal. “He had a stellar high school career at Colfax and was part of a championship culture.”

Alex Manu is a three-time MVP for Aragon High School’s basketball team. He is a 6’0” point guard that has excellent court vision, and makes essential plays. “In building our program for the future, it’s essential to have great guard play, and Alex fits that mold,” Arsenal stated.

Juawnn Springfield and Jack Piscine will transfer from the junior colleges to play for CSUEB in the fall. Juawnn Springfield was a leading scorer for the Yakima Valley College.
Springfield’s coach at Yakima Valley College, Ray Funk, gave a breakdown of his game. “Juawnn’s strengths are his scoring capabilities, from the perimeter either shooting or driving,” Funk said. “He’s equally deadly, he has passion for the game.”

Jack Pasquini, a 6’8” guard, played two seasons with De Anza College and led his team to a berth in the state championship. He has exceptional post moves and averaged double-double during the 2013-2014 season.

Pasquini is known for crashing the boards on both ends of the floor, and has substantial post moves. He also steps away from the paint and stretches the floor with his shooting ability. “We are thrilled to have him joining the Pioneer family,” said Arsenal in an interview with the Athletics department.

Other names that are bringing their skills to the athletics program next season are: Marquise Tolson, Marcus Norman, Cody Kale, and Patrick Marr.  Daniel Eberhardt from California Maritime Academy will also be joining the Pioneers as one of the new assistant coaches.

CSUEB men’s basketball arsenal, with recently acquired players and current talent on the roster, hopes to be strong competition this season. The team is on summer break and begins training this fall.