Annual Juried Student Exhibition opens on campus

Photo | Cameron Crowell

An exhibition attendee observes a student’s work at Tuesday’s reception.

Cameron Crowell,
Lifestyle Reporter

The California State University, East Bay Art Gallery opened its newest exhibition Tuesday with a potluck reception and award ceremony. The exhibition featured 36 pieces all done by current students that ranged from canvas paintings, sculptures, drawings, photo prints, to ceramic pieces.

Curator Philip Ringler opened the door to around 50 artists and visual art appreciators setting the mood at the gallery opening with an indie electro-pop playlist. Ringler has been a part of the art department on campus for 12 years, and has been curating student exhibitions for over six years.

Students were allowed to submit up to two pieces, provided they were of a different medium and the student had taken at least one art class in the past academic year. Pieces were selected by outside juror Shannon Trimble, operations manager at Gallery Paule Anglim in San Francisco who is unaffiliated with the school, to maintain objectiveness in judgments.

“[Jurors] can select work based on either their taste in art or the way they would like to see a show function as a whole,” said Ringler who was responsible for the arrangement of the selected works. “Curating to me is about association and trying to make it so different art work speaks to each other in terms of content, or in terms of color, or in terms of design.”

This exhibition did not have a specific theme, allowing for students to submit their favorite pieces they have created and showcase a wide range of mediums in the show. Individual pieces were awarded by Trimble, and with the help of private donors like Blick Art Materials, and Friends of the Arts. Winning students received scholarships and prizes.

“I drew a lot of possible submissions, but [‘#NoFilter’] just spoke to me. It kind of is a social commentary about our narcissistic obsession with our phones,” said Traditional Art major Justin Pastores, a junior, who took home both the Friends of the Arts, and Mona Fralin Memorial awards for his oil on panel painting.

Reception attendees came out to view the art and support friends and fellow students that had their pieces displayed. Mubarra Ahmadyar’s ink and oil on wood panel piece, “Up for Grabs,” seemed to attract the most attention from a crowd that whispered praise among one another as they walked about the gallery.

“[‘Up for Grabs’] is really amazing, it feels like something you would see in a gallery in San Francisco.” said junior Studio Art major Tao, “Some pieces are more professional than others, but it is all great art work.”

This exhibition will be running through June 12 in the Arts and Education Building’s first floor gallery. The gallery is open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.